A look at the plants General Motors Corp. said Monday it will close or idle, with the number of hourly employees affected at each location.
Assembly plants scheduled to close:
Wilmington, Del. Scheduled to close in July. Cars produced at the plant include the Pontiac Solstice, the Pontiac Solstice Coupe, the Saturn Sky and the Opel GT. (966 employees)
Pontiac, Mich. Set to shut its doors by October. Produces the GMC Sierra, a sports utility vehicle, and the Chevrolet Silverado. (1,370 employees)
Assembly plants expected to be idled:
Orion, Mich. Assembles Chevrolet Malibu and the Pontiac G6. Will halt production in September. (3,190 employees)
Spring Hill, Tenn. Assembles Chevrolet Traverse. Will halt production in November. (2,447 employees)
Two new stamping plants, which mold sheets of steel into different auto parts, are set to close permanently:
Mansfield, Ohio. Will close by June 2010. (1,202 employees)
Indianapolis. Will close by December 2011. (620 employees)
One stamping plant will be idled:
Pontiac Metal in Pontiac, Mich. Expected to shut down at least temporarily by December 2010. (829 employees)
Five plants where powertrain systems are produced are scheduled to close:
Livonia Engine in Livonia, Mich. Will close by June 2010. (83 employees)
Four other powertrain plants will close by December 2010: Flint North in Flint, Mich. (566 employees); Willow Run near Ypsilanti, Mich. (1,178 employees); Parma, Ohio, near Cleveland (37 employees), and Fredericksburg, Va., Components (68 employees).
Three service and parts warehouses and parts distribution centers are also on the closure list:
Warehouses in Boston (66 employees), Jacksonville, Fla. (66 employees) and Columbus, Ohio (60 employees). Set to close by the end of this year.
Source: General Motors Corp.
- Where to find the savings at warehouse clubs...
- Ogden farmer's pumpkin patch, version 2.0,...
- Employer health insurance will soon be taxed,...
- Dave Ramsey says: Charging off a debt doesn't...
- Your guide to tipping just the right amount
- Rocky Mountain Power honors LDS Church for...
- 4 signs you need to quit your job to advance...
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt traps...
- Ogden farmer's pumpkin patch, version... 9
- Employer health insurance will soon be... 9
- Where to find the savings at warehouse... 8
- Your guide to tipping just the right... 4
- Rocky Mountain Power honors LDS Church... 4
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt... 3
- 4 signs you need to quit your job to... 2
- Chick-fil-A opening NYC outpost in... 1