A look at the plants General Motors Corp. said Monday it will close or idle, with the number of hourly employees affected at each location.
Assembly plants scheduled to close:
Wilmington, Del. Scheduled to close in July. Cars produced at the plant include the Pontiac Solstice, the Pontiac Solstice Coupe, the Saturn Sky and the Opel GT. (966 employees)
Pontiac, Mich. Set to shut its doors by October. Produces the GMC Sierra, a sports utility vehicle, and the Chevrolet Silverado. (1,370 employees)
Assembly plants expected to be idled:
Orion, Mich. Assembles Chevrolet Malibu and the Pontiac G6. Will halt production in September. (3,190 employees)
Spring Hill, Tenn. Assembles Chevrolet Traverse. Will halt production in November. (2,447 employees)
Two new stamping plants, which mold sheets of steel into different auto parts, are set to close permanently:
Mansfield, Ohio. Will close by June 2010. (1,202 employees)
Indianapolis. Will close by December 2011. (620 employees)
One stamping plant will be idled:
Pontiac Metal in Pontiac, Mich. Expected to shut down at least temporarily by December 2010. (829 employees)
Five plants where powertrain systems are produced are scheduled to close:
Livonia Engine in Livonia, Mich. Will close by June 2010. (83 employees)
Four other powertrain plants will close by December 2010: Flint North in Flint, Mich. (566 employees); Willow Run near Ypsilanti, Mich. (1,178 employees); Parma, Ohio, near Cleveland (37 employees), and Fredericksburg, Va., Components (68 employees).
Three service and parts warehouses and parts distribution centers are also on the closure list:
Warehouses in Boston (66 employees), Jacksonville, Fla. (66 employees) and Columbus, Ohio (60 employees). Set to close by the end of this year.
Source: General Motors Corp.
- The American Dream is still alive for 20...
- System failure to blame for delayed Saturday...
- Healthy jobs report a good sign for future...
- Weber State center helping to improve auto...
- 3,000 Workforce Services clients may be...
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low
- Walmart's 20 best-selling Black Friday items
- Cedar Hills to require business licenses for...
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 32
- Jobless claims drop to near 6-year low 10
- System failure to blame for delayed... 9
- Obama to feds: Boost renewable power 20... 6
- The American Dream is still alive for... 5
- Cedar Hills to require business... 5
- Healthy jobs report a good sign for... 2
- United Kingdom government predicting... 1