keith johnson, Deseret News
MURRAY (AP) — The voters had their say, and the mayor of the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray had his nearly foot-long handlebar whiskers clipped short for charity.
Dan Snarr's wife did the honors, leaving him with a short mustache after a clipping ceremony Saturday at a local Costco.
Residents voted 1,254 to 966 in favor of the mayor clipping the pointy ends of his waxed mustache.
The St. Louis-based American Mustache Institute posted a tongue-in-cheek eulogy for the mayor's 'stache on its Web site.
The organization contends that every time a mustache is shaved, an angel falls from heaven.
Residents had to pay $1 for each vote, and some contributed extra.
That means Snarr raised at least $2,220 for the Children's Miracle Network, which supports children's hospitals.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- About Utah: Baltic Avenue just bought Boardwalk!
- Body of overdue hiker found in Zion National...
- Tourists rescued after road collapses,...
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 77
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 34
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Utah to appeal polygamy ruling in... 13