keith johnson, Deseret News
MURRAY (AP) — The voters had their say, and the mayor of the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray had his nearly foot-long handlebar whiskers clipped short for charity.
Dan Snarr's wife did the honors, leaving him with a short mustache after a clipping ceremony Saturday at a local Costco.
Residents voted 1,254 to 966 in favor of the mayor clipping the pointy ends of his waxed mustache.
The St. Louis-based American Mustache Institute posted a tongue-in-cheek eulogy for the mayor's 'stache on its Web site.
The organization contends that every time a mustache is shaved, an angel falls from heaven.
Residents had to pay $1 for each vote, and some contributed extra.
That means Snarr raised at least $2,220 for the Children's Miracle Network, which supports children's hospitals.
- Precedents — and exceptions — to...
- Vernal man charged after 2 bizarre burglaries...
- Layton man attempts to duct tape, rape woman,...
- Family mourns death of father in freak TRAX...
- LDS Church leaders continue to emphasize...
- 9 things I wish I had known before my mission
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make run for...
- Chaffetz calls speaker bid a long shot, may...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 54
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 37
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 30
- Is convicted killer innocent? Group... 24
- State says it will fund Planned... 14
- Small group of Ordain Women supporters... 13
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 13
- Precedents — and exceptions... 12