keith johnson, Deseret News
MURRAY (AP) — The voters had their say, and the mayor of the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray had his nearly foot-long handlebar whiskers clipped short for charity.
Dan Snarr's wife did the honors, leaving him with a short mustache after a clipping ceremony Saturday at a local Costco.
Residents voted 1,254 to 966 in favor of the mayor clipping the pointy ends of his waxed mustache.
The St. Louis-based American Mustache Institute posted a tongue-in-cheek eulogy for the mayor's 'stache on its Web site.
The organization contends that every time a mustache is shaved, an angel falls from heaven.
Residents had to pay $1 for each vote, and some contributed extra.
That means Snarr raised at least $2,220 for the Children's Miracle Network, which supports children's hospitals.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Charges: Orem mom left 2 small kids alone...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 54
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 33
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 20
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15