keith johnson, Deseret News
MURRAY (AP) — The voters had their say, and the mayor of the Salt Lake City suburb of Murray had his nearly foot-long handlebar whiskers clipped short for charity.
Dan Snarr's wife did the honors, leaving him with a short mustache after a clipping ceremony Saturday at a local Costco.
Residents voted 1,254 to 966 in favor of the mayor clipping the pointy ends of his waxed mustache.
The St. Louis-based American Mustache Institute posted a tongue-in-cheek eulogy for the mayor's 'stache on its Web site.
The organization contends that every time a mustache is shaved, an angel falls from heaven.
Residents had to pay $1 for each vote, and some contributed extra.
That means Snarr raised at least $2,220 for the Children's Miracle Network, which supports children's hospitals.
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to same-sex...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- Third person arrested in Carbon County...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Preliminary hearing set for Utah mom accused...
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Federal government extends same-sex... 31
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 19
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 18
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 15