The Most Rev. John C. Wester, Alan and Suzanne Osmond and LaVell and Patti Edwards will be honored by the Sutherland Institute, a Utah-based conservative public-policy organization, at its third annual Legacy Awards banquet Wednesday, May 13.
The Rev. Wester, appointed by Pope Benedict XVI in January 2007 as the bishop of the Diocese of Salt Lake City, will receive the Religion Award in recognition for his work in building bridges in Utah's faith communities. He is scheduled to attend at least part of the evening's black-tie festivities, which will be his first public event since undergoing prostate cancer surgery in early April.
Alan Osmond, one-time leader of the family music group the Osmonds, who now rarely performs because of multiple sclerosis, and his wife, Suzanne, will be honored with the Family Award for their work in promoting the natural family. As parents of eight sons, they head One Heart, a nonprofit organization designed to raise awareness and funds for charitable causes and organizations, including many family-oriented efforts.
LaVell Edwards is the former Brigham Young University football coach who led the Cougars to the 1984 national championship and has been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. He and his wife will be recognized together with the Legacy Award for a lifetime of service in promoting faith, family and freedom.
The banquet and program begin at 7 p.m. at the Rice-Eccles Stadium and Towers, with a VIP reception at 6 p.m. Tickets for the event are $100 per individual, $150 for couples and $1,500 for a table of eight and can be arranged by contacting Liv Moffat, 801-355-1272.
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Orangeville couple killed in head-on crash
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ex-nurse accused of sexually abusing,...
- Man accused in wife's death loved her, 'had...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 38
- Do Utah high school students need four... 32
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 21
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Young adults are faced with risky... 17
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11