The Most Rev. John C. Wester, Alan and Suzanne Osmond and LaVell and Patti Edwards will be honored by the Sutherland Institute, a Utah-based conservative public-policy organization, at its third annual Legacy Awards banquet Wednesday, May 13.
The Rev. Wester, appointed by Pope Benedict XVI in January 2007 as the bishop of the Diocese of Salt Lake City, will receive the Religion Award in recognition for his work in building bridges in Utah's faith communities. He is scheduled to attend at least part of the evening's black-tie festivities, which will be his first public event since undergoing prostate cancer surgery in early April.
Alan Osmond, one-time leader of the family music group the Osmonds, who now rarely performs because of multiple sclerosis, and his wife, Suzanne, will be honored with the Family Award for their work in promoting the natural family. As parents of eight sons, they head One Heart, a nonprofit organization designed to raise awareness and funds for charitable causes and organizations, including many family-oriented efforts.
LaVell Edwards is the former Brigham Young University football coach who led the Cougars to the 1984 national championship and has been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame. He and his wife will be recognized together with the Legacy Award for a lifetime of service in promoting faith, family and freedom.
The banquet and program begin at 7 p.m. at the Rice-Eccles Stadium and Towers, with a VIP reception at 6 p.m. Tickets for the event are $100 per individual, $150 for couples and $1,500 for a table of eight and can be arranged by contacting Liv Moffat, 801-355-1272.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 63
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 47
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 21
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Two Utah schools under federal... 10
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9