In response to Derek Monson's My View "Not All Americans are 'Greenwashed'" (April 13), here are three reasons why renewable and sustainable energy should be taken seriously even if you don't believe in global warming:
The great metropolises of Los Angeles, Beijing, Mexico City and our own Salt Lake City are asphyxiating under layers of smog. Air pollution from fossil fuels causes (and aggravates) thousands of respiratory illnesses and birth defects every year.
Fossil fuels are a finite, rare resource, with much under the control of undemocratic, inhumane regimes. Renewable energy is rated to last 5 billion years and is available for development everywhere the sun shines, the wind blows or the field stands ready for planting
The monuments of our forefathers are literally dissolving under sheets of acid rain. Unique, priceless and immovable masonry and sculpture worldwide may fade forever.
If you don't believe in global warming, that's fine. There are plenty of other reasons why we should pursue renewable energy.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- In our opinion: Let FAA, not Utah...
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 104
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 100
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 66
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 45
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 39
- A. Scott Anderson: Energy development... 32
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 28