NEW YORK — Fans of "The Avengers" will have to wait a little longer to see their favorite superheroes on the big screen. Marvel Entertainment Inc. said it will debut the flick on May 4, 2012, nearly a year after its previous launch date of July 15, 2011.
"The Avengers," which features a team of comic book characters, will be the culmination of a series of movies based on individual Marvel characters that will be released leading up to it.
"Iron Man 2" will launch on May 7, 2010, as scheduled. It will be followed by "Thor" on June 17, 2011, instead of its previously planned release date of July 16, 2010. "The First Avenger: Captain America" is now coming out on July 22, 2011 instead of May 6, 2011.
Separately, Marvel confirmed that "Spider-Man 4" from Sony Pictures Entertainment, is slated to hit theaters on May 6, 2011.
The new schedule "maximizes the visibility of our single character-focused films, leading to the highly anticipated release of the multi-character 'The Avengers,'" said David Maisel, chairman of Marvel Studios, in a statement.
Cowen and Co. analyst Doug Creutz downgraded Marvel to "Neutral" from "Outperform," saying the delays of both "Thor" and "The Avengers" are "an indication that Marvel is unlikely to achieve its stated strategy of two self-produced film releases per year."
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- For gamers, combating online abuse not easy
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Salt Lake Comic Con and Utah Symphony present...
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 2
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 1