NEW YORK — Fans of "The Avengers" will have to wait a little longer to see their favorite superheroes on the big screen. Marvel Entertainment Inc. said it will debut the flick on May 4, 2012, nearly a year after its previous launch date of July 15, 2011.
"The Avengers," which features a team of comic book characters, will be the culmination of a series of movies based on individual Marvel characters that will be released leading up to it.
"Iron Man 2" will launch on May 7, 2010, as scheduled. It will be followed by "Thor" on June 17, 2011, instead of its previously planned release date of July 16, 2010. "The First Avenger: Captain America" is now coming out on July 22, 2011 instead of May 6, 2011.
Separately, Marvel confirmed that "Spider-Man 4" from Sony Pictures Entertainment, is slated to hit theaters on May 6, 2011.
The new schedule "maximizes the visibility of our single character-focused films, leading to the highly anticipated release of the multi-character 'The Avengers,'" said David Maisel, chairman of Marvel Studios, in a statement.
Cowen and Co. analyst Doug Creutz downgraded Marvel to "Neutral" from "Outperform," saying the delays of both "Thor" and "The Avengers" are "an indication that Marvel is unlikely to achieve its stated strategy of two self-produced film releases per year."
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- A community of theater: Utah theater...
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys' for kids
- 'Fire is catching,' so catch up with Katniss
- Local theaters bringing stars,magic and...
- 'Mockingjay, Part 1' opens with $123 million
- What's new: 'Walk Beside Me' adds vibrancy to...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar... 16
- Jennifer Lawrence: Privacy loss that... 4
- FanX returns in January with 'Star... 4
- Consumer group lists '10 worst toys'... 3
- Gift Guide: 3 ways to watch streaming... 3
- Model-TV host Dickinson accuses Cosby... 2
- Cookbooks see growth, but slow to move... 1
- 'Fire is catching,' so catch up with... 1