LOGAN — Utah State University students have voted in favor of a $65-per-semester increase in fees that go to the school's athletic department.
The proposal passed with 53 percent approval — 2,415 students in favor and 2,159 against — following an online vote on Monday and Tuesday.
Only students at Utah State's Logan campus were allowed to vote.
Tiffany Evans, director of the Student Involvement and Leadership Center, says while it was tough to ask students to pay more in fees, they understood the importance of the initiative.
She says the fee increase will build a strong foundation for athletics in the future.
Utah State's Board of Trustees supported the proposal in a March 6 vote. The proposal now goes to Utah State President Stan Albrecht and the state Board of Regents.
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Expunging criminal records expected to help...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 49
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 38
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 17
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9