LOGAN — Utah State University students have voted in favor of a $65-per-semester increase in fees that go to the school's athletic department.
The proposal passed with 53 percent approval — 2,415 students in favor and 2,159 against — following an online vote on Monday and Tuesday.
Only students at Utah State's Logan campus were allowed to vote.
Tiffany Evans, director of the Student Involvement and Leadership Center, says while it was tough to ask students to pay more in fees, they understood the importance of the initiative.
She says the fee increase will build a strong foundation for athletics in the future.
Utah State's Board of Trustees supported the proposal in a March 6 vote. The proposal now goes to Utah State President Stan Albrecht and the state Board of Regents.
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13