1A boys high school basketball: Dugway breaks through with postseason win
RICHFIELD — For all the regular-season success Dugway's boys basketball team has enjoyed over the past few years, victories at the 1A tournament have been tough to come by.
That fact alone made Dugway's 60-46 win over Monument Valley in the opening round of the 1A tournament extremely satisfying. The Mustangs got offensive contributions from all five starters and stifled Monument Valley defensively over the middle two quarters en route to the victory Wednesday evening at the Sevier Valley Center.
"These are great, great kids, (but) it's been a battle for four years to make them physically tough and mentally tough," said Dugway coach George Bruce. "I'm glad we got the win. We've won 76 ball games over the last four years and we've been 0-6 down here."
Though the real test of Dugway's toughness will come in Thursday's quarterfinals, the Mustangs were nonetheless quite happy on Wednesday to get out of the first round with a win.
The key stretch in Dugway's 13th consecutive win on the year occurred over the middle two quarters.
Leading 16-12 at the end of the first quarter, Dugway held Monument Valley to just 13 points over the second and third quarters to build up an insurmountable lead at 54-25.
Offensively, all five Dugway starters made significant contributions. Nate Lundy (17 points), Zack James (13), Morgan Kartchner (12) and Dakota Woolett (11) all finished in double-figures and Jackson Jones added seven.
On the other hand, Adrian Deal led Monument Valley offensively with 14 points and Joshua Nelson added 13.
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Former Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams had...
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight road...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke comes off...
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the Cougars...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 98
- BYU, Michigan State agree to... 88
- Memphis to punish 12 players for role... 78
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 60
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 54
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 36
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 27