1A boys high school basketball: Dugway breaks through with postseason win
RICHFIELD — For all the regular-season success Dugway's boys basketball team has enjoyed over the past few years, victories at the 1A tournament have been tough to come by.
That fact alone made Dugway's 60-46 win over Monument Valley in the opening round of the 1A tournament extremely satisfying. The Mustangs got offensive contributions from all five starters and stifled Monument Valley defensively over the middle two quarters en route to the victory Wednesday evening at the Sevier Valley Center.
"These are great, great kids, (but) it's been a battle for four years to make them physically tough and mentally tough," said Dugway coach George Bruce. "I'm glad we got the win. We've won 76 ball games over the last four years and we've been 0-6 down here."
Though the real test of Dugway's toughness will come in Thursday's quarterfinals, the Mustangs were nonetheless quite happy on Wednesday to get out of the first round with a win.
The key stretch in Dugway's 13th consecutive win on the year occurred over the middle two quarters.
Leading 16-12 at the end of the first quarter, Dugway held Monument Valley to just 13 points over the second and third quarters to build up an insurmountable lead at 54-25.
Offensively, all five Dugway starters made significant contributions. Nate Lundy (17 points), Zack James (13), Morgan Kartchner (12) and Dakota Woolett (11) all finished in double-figures and Jackson Jones added seven.
On the other hand, Adrian Deal led Monument Valley offensively with 14 points and Joshua Nelson added 13.
- Utah's first family of rodeo: Riding buckin'...
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's...
- BYU-USU video: 5 plays that turned the game...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Jazz notebook: Rookie's new wardrobe...
- Utah football notebook: Utes now have to wait...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 89
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 60
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 53
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 35
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 32
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 30
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30