PLEASANT VIEW (AP) — FrontRunner's northernmost terminal will get more service now that Union Pacific Railroad has agreed to yield a shared track more often.
The Utah Transit Authority said it struck a deal with Union Pacific that allows more commuter train service starting Monday for Pleasant View in Weber County.
The additional runs between Pleasant View and Ogden — and bus transfers — will give Pleasant View residents more options to use commuter rail.
UTA shares a 5-mile stretch of track with Union Pacific between Pleasant View and Ogden.
That limited Pleasant View to one departure in the morning and one return trip in evening. Other FrontRunner trains stopped at Ogden.
Starting Monday, UTA will offer three weekday morning departures from Pleasant View.
"Union Pacific Railroad has been a cooperative partner in allowing these additional FrontRunner trains to be dispatched," UTA General Manager John Inglish said. "We know these trains will be well used."
Two of the morning departures from Pleasant View — at 4:55 a.m. and 5:55 a.m. — will require riders to transfer to different trains in Ogden for points farther south. The third departure, at 6:40 a.m., lets riders stay on the same train all the way to Salt Lake City.
Riders will have four options for returning to Pleasant View in the afternoon and evening on weekdays. Two of those afternoon options involve bus rides from Ogden to Pleasant View. A third calls for a train transfer in Ogden. The final option, departing Salt Lake City at 5:12 p.m., lets riders stay on the same train all the way to Pleasant View.
UTA doesn't offer FrontRunner service on Sundays, and there is a reduced schedule on Saturdays.
- Parents say daughter didn't understand her...
- Newborn found in trash can brings call for help
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in hot car...
- Attorney general deciding whether to appeal...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA...
- Trial ordered for Cameo Crispi, accused of...
- Donations to North Salt Lake family displaced...
- Back (home) to school: Thousands of... 53
- New poll shows many Utahns oppose and... 49
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 39
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 34
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 30
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 26
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 21