LAS VEGAS Cassie King's career-high 19 points and 13 rebounds help the Cougars come from behind after trailing most of the second half to defeat UNLV 67-62.
The double-double was King's first of her career.
"This was a huge win for us," said BYU head coach Jeff Judkins, "especially since it came on the road. Cassie had a great game; it one of her best."
The Rebels and the Cougars each led three times during the first half. UNLV went into the break leading by six, 34-28. The Rebels shot 10 free throws in the first twenty minutes, compared to only two for the Cougars.
Mindy Nielson had 10 points, two rebounds, three assists and three steals before the break to lead BYU.
UNLV continued to lead throughout most of the second half, but the Cougars kept within four points, matching the Rebels almost basket-for-basket. Nielson led all scorers with 21 points, and King led all rebounders. Both Nielson and King were the only Cougars in double-figures.
BYU out-rebounded the Rebels 44-39 and had 25 second-chance points to UNLV's 10.
Rebels led by eight, 58-50 at 5:02 mark. King's free throw tied the game at 60 with 2:08 left. BYU's tough defense held UNLV without a bucket from the 4:22 mark to the 0:42 mark. Nielson hit a 3-pointer for BYU's first lead of the second half with 1:24 left.
"The team played great defense tonight," said Judkins. "It really helped us to close out strong."
The Cougars' record improves to 13-3 (3-1, MWC) while the Rebels fall to 8-10 (1-4, MWC).
The Cougars continue their Mountain West Conference road trip with a visit to San Diego State on Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- BYU moves up one spot in AP poll, heads into...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- The photos from the seats and the sideline...
- Utah football notes: Paul makes quite a splash
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- BYU football report card: Special teams...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 138
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 89
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 76
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to... 66
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 52
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33