Russell Mumford, project manager for Okland Construction, who built the Draper Temple, said he is very pleased with the finished product. He said the complexity of design for any LDS temple, as well as the frequent winds on the hillside area, were perhaps the greatest challenges for the builders.
On average during construction, a fleet of 150 craftsmen a day were on the temple site.
Visitors to the temple's open house will first meet at the adjacent Draper South Mountain Stake Center, where they will have an opportunity to see a new 10-minute video production on church temples. They will then walk through a long canvas-covered canopy segment directly into the temple's foyer.
However, Elder Walker said the church is only relying on plastic carpet runners and some extra carpet overlays on the floor of the temple to help hinder carpet wear and tear. Visitors will not wear any special outside coverings over their shoes. That's because it wasn't cost effective to do that for the high number of expected visitors.• Open house organizers request that advance reservations be made online at www.lds.org/reservations (maximum of 10 guests per reservation) or by calling 1-800-537-6181 (toll free) or 801-240-7932 (local). Reservations for larger groups can also be accommodated by calling these numbers.
• On the Net: newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/
DRAPER UTAH TEMPLE
Address: 14065 S. Canyon Vista Lane, Draper
Announcement: Oct. 2, 2004
Groundbreaking: Aug. 5, 2006
Open house schedule: Jan. 15 - March 14
Dedication schedule : March 20-22; four sessions scheduled for each day.
Temple president: Donald L. Staheli, 76, Monument Park 16th Ward. President Staheli's wife, Afton Stratton Staheli, will serve as temple matron.
Rank: It will be the 129th operating temple in the world and the 12th in Utah.
Area of service: It will serve approximately 60,000 church members in the Draper area.
Property size: 12 acres.
Building size: 58,300 square feet.
Building height: 50 feet, or 168 feet 8 inches to the top of the Angel Moroni statue.
Contractor: Okland Construction
Architects: FFKR Architects.
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor LaVoy...
- Report: Communication breakdowns contributed...
- Bountiful man charged with murder in death of...
- Housing prices expected to climb in 2016,...
- Heavy ski traffic highlights need for better...
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial in...
- Recent missionary killed after carjacking was...
- Son of Oregon occupier killed by police... 106
- State senator wants Utah to declare... 39
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 37
- Recent missionary killed after... 32
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- What you need to know about the effort... 15