Snow pros clearing the way
When weather outside is frightful, somebody's got to clean up
During a large storm in 1992, Miller was so busy he ran a three-day shift plowing snow. He finally decided to go home after he hallucinated from exhaustion: "I came home and told my wife that I saw a reindeer with a Christmas bow around its neck in the middle of the road. She just told me to go to bed."
He hasn't had to pull any dayslong shifts this year "so far," he said. But he's got about 35 tons of expensive salt in his warehouse and about $200,000 worth of removal equipment on a gamble that more work will fall his way."I enjoy helping people reduce such a huge liability," he said. "I think it's a good service."
Clouds and cold, cold, cold ahead
Old Man Winter is quite grumpy these days.
Cloudy skies and dramatically colder temperatures will roll through Utah Saturday and Sunday, but the storms that brought heavy snow on both Christmas and Boxing Day have moved out, according to the National Weather Service in Salt Lake City.
A weak mass of high pressure blowing in from the Northwest is expected to hang around through the weekend, said meteorologist Christine Kruse. Temperatures in the mid-20s are expected to cause sheets of black ice on roads throughout the Wasatch Front.
Sunday is expected to be about 10 degrees warmer but could bring evening snow showers. Temperatures bottoming out at about 25 degrees are expected throughout the next few days.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23