Snow pros clearing the way
When weather outside is frightful, somebody's got to clean up
During a large storm in 1992, Miller was so busy he ran a three-day shift plowing snow. He finally decided to go home after he hallucinated from exhaustion: "I came home and told my wife that I saw a reindeer with a Christmas bow around its neck in the middle of the road. She just told me to go to bed."
He hasn't had to pull any dayslong shifts this year "so far," he said. But he's got about 35 tons of expensive salt in his warehouse and about $200,000 worth of removal equipment on a gamble that more work will fall his way."I enjoy helping people reduce such a huge liability," he said. "I think it's a good service."
Clouds and cold, cold, cold ahead
Old Man Winter is quite grumpy these days.
Cloudy skies and dramatically colder temperatures will roll through Utah Saturday and Sunday, but the storms that brought heavy snow on both Christmas and Boxing Day have moved out, according to the National Weather Service in Salt Lake City.
A weak mass of high pressure blowing in from the Northwest is expected to hang around through the weekend, said meteorologist Christine Kruse. Temperatures in the mid-20s are expected to cause sheets of black ice on roads throughout the Wasatch Front.
Sunday is expected to be about 10 degrees warmer but could bring evening snow showers. Temperatures bottoming out at about 25 degrees are expected throughout the next few days.
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going digital a...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House...
- February deemed a snowpack savior for...
- Artifact vandalism near Moab a growing problem
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- National, local businesses file briefs... 52
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 52
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 39
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Attempt to raise minimum wage in Utah... 30
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 27
- Chase with alleged shoplifters ends in... 17
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 17