The State Board of Education has elected a new chairwoman and vice chairwoman.
Debra Roberts, of Beaver, District 15, will be the board chairwoman. She replaces Richard Sadler, of Ogden, District 4. He is not returning to the board after his term expires in January.
Dixie Allen, of Vernal, District 14, will be the board vice chairwoman. She replaces Mark Cluff, of Alpine, District 12. Cluff is not returning to the board after his term expires in January.
Cluff said he will continue to be involved in education. He is going to be on the board of Parents for Choice in Education, a grass-roots organization that promotes education innovation.
"I feel, for the strength of education in Utah, we have to rely on the parents and they need to be empowered and understand their responsibility and the education process," Cluff said.
Amy K. Stewart
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- 10-year-old honored for saving little brother
- We were there: See Deseret News front pages...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 84
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 17
- Police arrest 3 suspected of... 16