The State Board of Education has elected a new chairwoman and vice chairwoman.
Debra Roberts, of Beaver, District 15, will be the board chairwoman. She replaces Richard Sadler, of Ogden, District 4. He is not returning to the board after his term expires in January.
Dixie Allen, of Vernal, District 14, will be the board vice chairwoman. She replaces Mark Cluff, of Alpine, District 12. Cluff is not returning to the board after his term expires in January.
Cluff said he will continue to be involved in education. He is going to be on the board of Parents for Choice in Education, a grass-roots organization that promotes education innovation.
"I feel, for the strength of education in Utah, we have to rely on the parents and they need to be empowered and understand their responsibility and the education process," Cluff said.
Amy K. Stewart
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Springville homes evacuated after fireworks...
- Summer Sounds: Train, The Wallflowers play...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 8