The State Board of Education has elected a new chairwoman and vice chairwoman.
Debra Roberts, of Beaver, District 15, will be the board chairwoman. She replaces Richard Sadler, of Ogden, District 4. He is not returning to the board after his term expires in January.
Dixie Allen, of Vernal, District 14, will be the board vice chairwoman. She replaces Mark Cluff, of Alpine, District 12. Cluff is not returning to the board after his term expires in January.
Cluff said he will continue to be involved in education. He is going to be on the board of Parents for Choice in Education, a grass-roots organization that promotes education innovation.
"I feel, for the strength of education in Utah, we have to rely on the parents and they need to be empowered and understand their responsibility and the education process," Cluff said.
Amy K. Stewart
- Vegas’ water drying up
- Salt Lake Comic Con FanX draws 100,000 attendees
- Man killed in court had tried to prevent...
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging at...
- Report: Colleagues wondered if A.G. Mark...
- Fundraiser established for 2-year-old who was...
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- U. student government passes resolution to...
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 59
- U. student government passes resolution... 58
- Utah among states with greatest urban... 45
- Gang member shot, killed after lunging... 26
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 25
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the... 23
- GOP resolution calls for partisan... 19
- Salt Lake City's inversion problem... 17