AUBURN HILLS, Mich. Jazz coach Jerry Sloan canceled the team's morning shootaround today due to a snowstorm that is pounding the Detroit metropolitan area.
The Pistons also canceled their scheduled shoot.
Five inches of snow already has fallen today in Auburn Hills, where the Pistons play at The Palace of Auburn Hills, and up to another five is expected by late afternoon.
According to local media reports, that's enough to have the storm on track for being one of the top-five heaviest one-day December snowfalls in recorded Detroit history.
Schools throughout Detroit have all canceled classes, road conditions are extremely hazardous and the entire region remains under a Winter Storm Warning issued by the National Weather Service.
Because both teams are in town, however, the game still is expected to be played.
Utah arrives at 16-11 and on stop No. 3 of a five-game Eastern road trip that is scheduled to continue Saturday night in also-snowy Chicago.
The Jazz had one other shootaround canceled earlier this month, because there wasn't enough heat in a Minneapolis gym prior to their Dec. 9 win at Minnesota.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Former walk-on Kyle Johnson has become BYU's...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31