3A high school football championship: Juan Diego edges Hurricane
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Juan Diego claimed its first 3A state football title on the foot of Jaron Bentrude.
The kicking game was a nemesis to the Soaring Eagle all game. They missed all three of their extra points, and went for it on fourth down on a couple of occasions when in obvious field goal range. But when it mattered most, Bentrude kicked a 23-yard field goal with four seconds remaining for a 21-18 win over Hurricane.
Juan Diego had an 18-10 lead with just over five minutes remaining, but the Tigers put together a 14-play, 60-yard drive to score with 51 seconds remaining on a Gordy Dotson four-yard run. Dotson then tied it up with the two-point conversion on the same play.
Tana Vea rumbled for a 55-yard game on a screen pass to the Hurricane 3-yard line with 14 seconds remaining, setting up Bentrude's heroic kick.Tyler Morales led the way for Juan Diego with 118 yards on 22 carries and a touchdown. Brian May was 7-for-11 for 137 yards and a score. Hurricane was led by Jace Langston's 163 yards passing and Dotson's 53 yards on the ground.
- High school sports: Preps of the week
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- High school football: Late 2-point...
- High school football: No. 1 Bingham forces 4...
- Big plays save Taylorsville as Warriors hold...
- Salem Hills rolls past rival Payson 42-7
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school...
- High school football: No. 1 Bingham... 21
- Parry's power guide to Utah high school... 10
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig... 5
- Felt's Facts Week 2: Utah high school... 4
- Postseason success will not impact... 4
- Photo gallery: Lone Peak defeats Alta... 2
- High school sports: Preps of the week 1
- Big plays save Taylorsville as Warriors... 1