"Since the people of California voted to reaffirm the sanctity of traditional marriage between a man and a woman on Nov. 4, 2008, places of worship have been targeted by opponents of Proposition 8 with demonstrations and, in some cases, vandalism. People of faith have been intimidated for simply exercising their democratic rights. These are not actions that are worthy of the democratic ideals of our nation. The end of a free and fair election should not be the beginning of a hostile response in America.
The Church is keenly aware of the differences of opinion on this difficult and sensitive matter. The reasons for this principled stand in defense of marriage have already been articulated elsewhere. However, some of what we have seen since Californians voted to pass Proposition 8 has been deeply disappointing.
Attacks on churches and intimidation of people of faith have no place in civil discourse over controversial issues. People of faith have a democratic right to express their views in the public square without fear of reprisal. Efforts to force citizens out of public discussion should be deplored by people of goodwill everywhere.
We call upon those who have honest disagreements on this issue to urge restraint upon the extreme actions of a few that are further polarizing our communities and urge them to act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility towards each other."
- Davis High teacher faces rape charges
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS...
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for...
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher watches...
- Parents plead for person who hit and killed...
- Utah-based 'Kid History' collaborates with...
- UVU plans campus shooting simulation Tuesday
- Ogden couple not giving up hope on finding...
- Federal judge overturns part of Utah's... 80
- Rep. Jim Matheson says he won't run for... 47
- Minimum wage debate rages on 22
- Family looks for answers after children... 21
- BYU student, LDS seminary teacher... 16
- State GOP Central Committee chooses... 15
- British actor John Rhys-Davies 'flies'... 14
- UVU plans campus shooting simulation... 11