"Since the people of California voted to reaffirm the sanctity of traditional marriage between a man and a woman on Nov. 4, 2008, places of worship have been targeted by opponents of Proposition 8 with demonstrations and, in some cases, vandalism. People of faith have been intimidated for simply exercising their democratic rights. These are not actions that are worthy of the democratic ideals of our nation. The end of a free and fair election should not be the beginning of a hostile response in America.
The Church is keenly aware of the differences of opinion on this difficult and sensitive matter. The reasons for this principled stand in defense of marriage have already been articulated elsewhere. However, some of what we have seen since Californians voted to pass Proposition 8 has been deeply disappointing.
Attacks on churches and intimidation of people of faith have no place in civil discourse over controversial issues. People of faith have a democratic right to express their views in the public square without fear of reprisal. Efforts to force citizens out of public discussion should be deplored by people of goodwill everywhere.
We call upon those who have honest disagreements on this issue to urge restraint upon the extreme actions of a few that are further polarizing our communities and urge them to act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility towards each other."
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 74
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 26
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24