Deron Williams circled Wednesday's date on his calendar, but it isn't looking like he will make his 2008-09 season debut that night against the Portland Trail Blazers.
As of this afternoon, Williams is being listed as "doubtful" by the team to play in Wednesday's 7 p.m. game at EnergySolutions Arena.
Williams, who's nursing a sprained left ankle, participated in some drills at practice this morning with the Jazz, a team spokesman confirmed. But there was no contact and he didn't go at full speed in his limited participation.
"It's getting better," Williams said before practice this morning at the Jazz's training facility. "Still don't know a timetable, so day-to-day just seeing how it feels."
After diagnosing the sprain he suffered in the preseason against Chicago, the Jazz's medical staff set a tentative timetable of at least two weeks before Williams would be able to return.
Williams tried to return quicker-than-anticipated the two-week period ended Monday but he re-aggravated his injury while practicing with the team last week. It's also been accidentally stepped on and hit by a ball in the past few days.
After Portland, Utah's next game will be Friday at home against the Oklahoma City Thunder.
As for other injured Jazz players, Matt Harpring (ankle rehab) will not play Wednesday.The Jazz are expecting Jarron Collins to return from Southern California in time for the Blazers' game, but his playing availability is uncertain for now. The backup big man remained in Los Angeles to have his ailing right elbow and arm examined by a specialist today.
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 50
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 22
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 17