Delta Air Lines Inc., the world's largest carrier, named a new finance chief to replace Ed Bastian as he focuses on integrating the purchase of Northwest Airlines Corp.
Hank Halter, with 10 years at Delta, becomes chief financial officer and will report to Bastian, who is interim chief executive officer of the Northwest unit. Steve Gorman was promoted to chief operating officer from executive vice president of operations, Delta said Friday in a statement.
The moves are the first management changes by CEO Richard Anderson since Delta completed the $2.75 billion all-stock merger this week. Anderson will run the combined carrier, which will keep Delta's name and Atlanta headquarters.
The combination of Delta, formerly the third-largest U.S. carrier, and No. 6 Northwest surpassed AMR Corp.'s American Airlines as the world's biggest carrier by traffic.
Bastian, 51, said this week he would spend most of his time over the next two years at Northwest's offices in Eagan, Minn., overseeing day-to-day operations and helping combine the carriers' routes, schedules, fleets and employee groups.
Bastian replaces Doug Steenland, who stepped down as CEO of Northwest on Wednesday, when the acquisition was completed.
In a separate memo to employees, Anderson said nine executives have left Delta.
Lee Macenczak, executive vice president of sales and marketing; Ken Khoury, executive vice president and general counsel; Pam Elledge, senior vice president of sales and distribution; and Scott Yohe, senior vice president of government affairs, are among the departing Delta managers.
Northwest CFO Dave Davis is also leaving and will be replaced by Terry Mackenthun, according to Betsy Talton, a spokeswoman at Delta.
- The economic crisis is helping one person in...
- Balancing act: It's time, again, to leave my...
- Report examines the needs of Utah's growing...
- Dave Ramsey says: The long-term effects of...
- Transportation plan focuses on mass transit...
- Michelle Singletary: Helping your adult...
- Get ready for a real-life Nintendo Land
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right to...
- An ex-Marine is fighting for her right... 44
- Salt Lake County rents continue to climb 9
- Wal-Mart kicks off next phase of wage... 6
- Why the presidential candidate who... 3
- Census report: Utah still last in... 3
- Dave Ramsey says: Build your budget... 2
- Michelle Singletary: Helping your adult... 2
- Obama's trade agenda faces tougher odds... 1