SOUTH JORDAN Some Utahns attending the weekend opening of Disney's biggest movie of the year were exposed to a little more than they were expecting.
Friday night, managers at the Megaplex Theatre at the District, 11400 South Bangerter Highway, switched one of the showings of "High School Musical 3: Senior Year" to a larger auditorium to accommodate more people. They forgot, however, to switch the movie that had previously been scheduled for the room.
So rather than the family-friendly, G-rated "High School Musical 3," the beginning of the very nonfamily-friendly R-rated "Sex Drive" came on the screen. The opening minutes of the movie include nudity.
"I could not carry my little children out before they were exposed to extremely vulgar and sexually explicit material," one parent complained in an e-mail to the Deseret News.
The film was stopped as soon as the mistake was realized. It was not known Tuesday how long the movie ran until it was turned off.
Megaplex spokesman Jeff Whipple said "Sex Drive" was only on the screen briefly.
Theater managers apologized to the audience and gave everyone free movie passes and concession vouchers. For future movies. Whipple said a policy of secondary confirmation and personal supervision by a theater manager will be required before a movie is shown.
The District Theatre was the 10th busiest in the nation for "High School Musical 3" ticket sales, Whipple said.
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention...
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes into...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Fired West Valley officer's defense team goes...
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for...
- Fatal Draper house fire was intentionally...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 26
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 21
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 17
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 16
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 12
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 12