BOISE Reserve point guard Brevin Knight did not take part in the morning session of the Jazz training camp today due to a strained lower back sustained in Wednesday's second practice.
Also out of action this morning were two free-agent hopefuls, guard Gerry McNamara and big man Kevin Lyde.
McNamara has whiplash and a sore jaw after hitting his head on the floor during Wednesday's late session.
Lyde was ill and stayed back at the Jazz's team hotel here.
Knight said he did not want to put a timetable on his return, but added that he did not think the injury was a serious one.
"We're just going to play it by ear," he said.
"Backs and stuff kind of take it as it is," said Knight, who added the injury is not a typical one for him. "I've never had it. Just got caught the wrong way, I think. Those things tend to happen."
Knight said he "tweaked" the back, and that it was still "a little stiff" this morning. The injury occurred when he tried to fight through a play in which starting point Deron Williams was defending him.
The absences and that of backup small forward Matt Harpring, who continues to work out with private trainers in California, and Summer Olympians Williams, Carlos Boozer and Andrei Kirilenko, who are working out just once a day left the Jazz with just 11 players practicing this morning.At least 14 including Williams, Boozer and Kirilenko are expected to take part in an open-to-the-public scrimmage tonight that starts at 6 p.m. in Boise State University's Taco Bell Arena.
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24