The Utah State Archives will observe Utah Archives Month throughout October with events each Wednesday.
The statewide theme for 2008 is "Documenting Utah: Political History, Public Policy, and Archives."
An exhibit of state Capitol artifacts is on display in the lobby of the archives building. The display includes notable items such as a dome light, original office furnishings, historic photographs, design submission competition entries, program of competition booklets and a piece of granite.
Three classes geared to family historians will be offered on alternating weeks.
• Danielle L. Batson, MLS, AG (LDS Family History Library), will present a class on using United States naturalization records, on Oct. 1, noon.
• Susan Whetstone, Utah Historical Society photograph curator, will provide instruction on preserving photographs on Oct. 15, 5 p.m.
• "Wake the Dead," a popular class on family history sources and research in Utah, will be presented on Oct. 29, 5 p.m. A tour of the research center is included.
The Archives will host the annual Utah fall caucus of the Conference of Inter-Mountain Archivists on Oct. 8.
Training for the Regional Repositories program under the direction of the Utah State Historical Records Advisory Board is Oct. 22.
All events will be held in the Courtyard Meeting Room in the State Archives Building, 346 S. Rio Grande St. (455 West), Salt Lake City.
For more information, go to utaharchivesmonth.org.
- Josh Powell made 'admission of guilt' in...
- Tornado relief spurs LDS Church, Layton's...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- XanGo seeks ouster of co-founder in new lawsuit
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 2 Utah high schools ranked among the best in...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 4 reasons why you need to paraglide at Point...
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 43
- S.L. draws up airport plans 32
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod... 28
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 21
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 21
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 17