A wildfire burning close to homes near Draper has exploded to 800 acres in size, but firefighters say it is not expected to threaten homes again.
About 100 firefighters are hiking up to the front lines of the Corner Canyon fire today to dig fire lines and clear away fuels. A hotshot crew from Idaho has also been brought in to help out. Helicopters will also be making water drops over the area.
"We've been doing retardant drops and water drops, but nobody was digging line and removing fuel," said Ben Sharer with Unified Fire Authority. "Today, the hand crews are going to go up there."
About 60 homes were evacuated Monday when the fire started. The fire burned within a few hundred yards of some homes. This morning, the winds were burning away from the homes.
"The winds are in our favor at this point," said Draper City spokeswoman Maridene Hancock.
Sharer said firefighters were confident the blaze would not spread back down toward the homes when the afternoon winds pick up again. The fire is not expected to be contained in any way until at least Wednesday, he said.
Investigators will be on the scene trying to determine an exact cause.
"It is a human caused fire," Sharer said.
The Corner Canyon fire is one of three blazes burning in Utah right now. The Gate Narrow fire is burning about two miles east of Terra in Tooele County. The 250-acre blaze is about 10 percent contained and is threatening a number of structures. State Route 199 between Terra and Rush Valley has been closed.A wildfire is also burning about 3 1/2 miles northwest of Eureka, along the Juab-Utah County line. The Lonesome Pine fire has torched nearly 600 acres.
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- 2 killed in auto accident on I-80 in Summit...
- Tino, the king of Hogle Zoo's jungle, is...
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 42
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks... 27
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17