A wildfire burning close to homes near Draper has exploded to 800 acres in size, but firefighters say it is not expected to threaten homes again.
About 100 firefighters are hiking up to the front lines of the Corner Canyon fire today to dig fire lines and clear away fuels. A hotshot crew from Idaho has also been brought in to help out. Helicopters will also be making water drops over the area.
"We've been doing retardant drops and water drops, but nobody was digging line and removing fuel," said Ben Sharer with Unified Fire Authority. "Today, the hand crews are going to go up there."
About 60 homes were evacuated Monday when the fire started. The fire burned within a few hundred yards of some homes. This morning, the winds were burning away from the homes.
"The winds are in our favor at this point," said Draper City spokeswoman Maridene Hancock.
Sharer said firefighters were confident the blaze would not spread back down toward the homes when the afternoon winds pick up again. The fire is not expected to be contained in any way until at least Wednesday, he said.
Investigators will be on the scene trying to determine an exact cause.
"It is a human caused fire," Sharer said.
The Corner Canyon fire is one of three blazes burning in Utah right now. The Gate Narrow fire is burning about two miles east of Terra in Tooele County. The 250-acre blaze is about 10 percent contained and is threatening a number of structures. State Route 199 between Terra and Rush Valley has been closed.A wildfire is also burning about 3 1/2 miles northwest of Eureka, along the Juab-Utah County line. The Lonesome Pine fire has torched nearly 600 acres.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 15