"The Rocker" is dumb. In fact, the film is so dumb that at times it hurts your brain to think about it.
Yet the movie is sort of dumb-funny as well. This rock music comedy does has a few chuckles and belly laughs. And unlike a few other smug, self-satisfied comedies that have come along recently, this one at least seems to have a heart at its center.
That's important, because we have to like these characters if we're going to swallow these situations. The title refers to Robert "Fish" Fishman, a drummer played by Rainn Wilson (from TV's "The Office").
Fish was booted from a heavy metal band just before they became huge stars. So he has spent the subsequent years going from one dead-end job to the next and has become embittered. Worse, he's now living in his sister's attic.
But he is trying to befriend his teenage nephew, Matt (Josh Gad), who's playing keyboards in a band. And as it so happens, the group has recently lost its drummer, so Matt asks his uncle to fill in for at least one show a school prom.
But Fish needs to be sold on the idea, as do Matt's band mates (Teddy Geiger and Emma Stone). And even when he does agree to play with them, the group's first gig ends badly, thanks to Fish's antics.
However, Fish decides to promote the band and, as improbable as it seems, his unique methods net them a fan base as well as offers from music companies.
As Fish, Wilson is not nearly as creepy as his "Office" character. He's trying a little too hard to be funny here, though.
Fortunately, his co-stars are all pretty likable. That includes musician Geiger, Gad and Stone ("Superbad"), and Christina Applegate, who plays the concerned mother of one of the teens.
Also, there's an amusingly goofy supporting bit by current "Saturday Night Live" cast member Jason Sudeikis, who plays the band's rather sleazy manager."The Rocker" is rated PG-13 for crude sexual humor and references (slang), mostly comic violence (slapstick and assorted mayhem), brief male nudity, scattered profanity, and brief drug references. Running time: 103 minutes.
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' is an awesome mix...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid friendly
- Who are the Guardians of the Galaxy?
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: The biggest...
- 10 ways Disney can help those with autism
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy': 3 points for parents
- Drive-By Art aims to beautify Salt Lake...
- 5 PG movies that aren't exactly kid... 17
- Sarah Palin launches online... 10
- The wrath of Comic-Con: S.L. convention... 8
- Mormons popping up all over TV these days 6
- George W. Bush writes book about father 3
- First trailer for 'The Hobbit: The... 3
- The Clean Cut: Jennifer Lawrence makes... 2
- Farewell, Monty Python 2