LOGAN Utah State football coach Brent Guy announced junior quarterback Jase McCormick left the team after meeting with Guy on Sunday afternoon.
"Jase has had some major life changes, his focus is different and he's not going to play football anymore," Guy said in a statement. "He's just going to stress his academics and graduate in December.
"We respect his decision, we know it's been a difficult one for him and one that he has thought a great deal about. We're disappointed to see him leave and wish him the best."
McCormick saw action in four games last season, going 25-of-40 passing for 258 yards on the season with two touchdowns and five interceptions. He also had 66 rushing yards on 28 attempts.
When the Aggies reported for camp on Saturday, McCormick was not in attendance. The former Northridge High star told his coaches on Sunday he was ending his playing days.
The departure of McCormick from the roster tightens up the competition for the starting job. Senior Sean Setzer may have the inside track, but sophomore Diondre Borel and freshmen Ben Longshore and Exavier Johnson will also factor into the competition.
Setzer is now the only Aggie quarterback to have thrown a pass in a Division I game. He completed that pass for a 2-yard gain against Boise State.
The Aggies return to the practice field today at 10 a.m. and will hold their first scrimmage of the season on Saturday at 3 p.m.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Friday night lights central, playoffs...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's progress...
- High school football: Friday's playoff roundup
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- High school football: State tournament pairings
- Utes carry momentum into showdown with the...
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 60
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 55
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 51
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 35
- BYU men, women both picked to finish... 32