LOGAN Utah State football coach Brent Guy announced junior quarterback Jase McCormick left the team after meeting with Guy on Sunday afternoon.
"Jase has had some major life changes, his focus is different and he's not going to play football anymore," Guy said in a statement. "He's just going to stress his academics and graduate in December.
"We respect his decision, we know it's been a difficult one for him and one that he has thought a great deal about. We're disappointed to see him leave and wish him the best."
McCormick saw action in four games last season, going 25-of-40 passing for 258 yards on the season with two touchdowns and five interceptions. He also had 66 rushing yards on 28 attempts.
When the Aggies reported for camp on Saturday, McCormick was not in attendance. The former Northridge High star told his coaches on Sunday he was ending his playing days.
The departure of McCormick from the roster tightens up the competition for the starting job. Senior Sean Setzer may have the inside track, but sophomore Diondre Borel and freshmen Ben Longshore and Exavier Johnson will also factor into the competition.
Setzer is now the only Aggie quarterback to have thrown a pass in a Division I game. He completed that pass for a 2-yard gain against Boise State.
The Aggies return to the practice field today at 10 a.m. and will hold their first scrimmage of the season on Saturday at 3 p.m.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 34
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24