Real Salt Lake notes: Russell makes quick debut for RSL
It didn't take Robbie Russell long to get a taste of Major League Soccer.
He trained with Real Salt Lake for the first time last Friday, and three days later he made his first appearance by replacing Ian Joy in the 73rd minute Monday night.
"It was just that first chance to get a feel for the league and what the play is like, and we got a win so I can't complain," said Russell. "It was definitely interesting getting used to that turf. It was only my second day on the turf."
A seven-year veteran of European soccer, Russell was touted for his versatility when Real Salt Lake acquired him last week. When he replaced Joy, Chris Wingert shifted from right back to left back with Russell playing the final 17 minutes at right back.
Right back is the position Russell played during most of his seven professional years in Norway and Denmark.
WHIRLWIND WEEK: Midfielder Andy Williams entered Monday's game at halftime, about 48 hours after an appearance for his country. Williams played 75 minutes with the Jamaican National Team on Saturday in an international friendly match with El Salvador in Frisco, Texas.
Earlier in the week Williams was in New York with his wife seeking a second opinion for her. His wife is going to remain in New York for an indefinite period of time to treat her leukemia.
A NEW HIGH: By going 84 minutes without surrendering a goal Monday night, RSL set a new standard of excellence in MLS this year. Guevara's goal halted a 354-minute shutout streak, the longest such streak in the league this season.
The previous high for consecutive shutouts minutes this season was 293 by Kansas City.
TORONTO FRESH FACE: Chad Barrett is now a member of Toronto FC.
Even though members of Toronto FC's staff couldn't comment on the matter, the former Chicago Fire striker was at Rice-Eccles Stadium on Monday night wearing a Toronto FC golf shirt. Presumably, Barrett was the final piece to the Brian McBride to Chicago transaction.
Toronto was at the top of the MLS allocation list when McBride announced his intentions to return to MLS. He only wanted to play for Chicago though, so the two teams have been trying to hammer out a deal for the past month.It obviously went through on Monday, even though the deal still hasn't been finalized by the league.
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- Virginia gearing up for big road test at No....
- Amy Donaldson: Domestic violence isn't a...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- AAC commish: BYU is a 'power' team 134
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 102
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 63
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 51
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 50
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 47