Real Salt Lake general manager Garth Lagerwey confirmed the signing of midfielder/defender Robbie Russell Wednesday afternoon.
A Ghana-born U.S. citizen, Russell has spent the past seven years in Europe.
"He's exactly the type of player we want. He is (like) Nat Borchers. He is an American player that's had success over in Europe and become a better player," said Lagerwey.
RSL is hoping to have Russell in Salt Lake City by Thursday, making him eligible to play in next Monday's home league match against Toronto FC.
Russell, a Duke University graduate, was one of the secret trialists in Utah several weeks back and during his try-out he ran a faster 40-time than Robbie Findley.
The 29-year-old was originally drafted by the L.A. Galaxy in 2000, but opted to head overseas instead. He spent one season with Sogndal in Norway, followed by three additional seasons in Norway with Rosenborg.
The past two season he played for Viborg in the Danish Superliga.
Lagerwey said Russell can play any of seven positions, three in the midfield and all four on the backline.
RSL still has one roster spot remaining with Russell's signing."By adding Robbie in midfield and defense, we're pretty free to go after an attacking player at this point," said Lagerwey.
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve...
- Live streams: 1A volleyball tournament...
- Felt's Facts, playoff edition: Newcomers,...
- Former BYU pitcher Jeremy Guthrie's little...
- Ranking the starting centers in the NBA from...
- Middle Tennessee excited about home game...
- Mormons in the rodeo: LDS competitors find...
- Langi making an impact at linebacker for BYU
- BYU needs win at Middle Tennessee to... 79
- Misery loves company: BYU football No.... 59
- Utes lose Dres Anderson to a knee injury 56
- High school football: State tournament... 54
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall gives... 46
- Poppinga has endured dark times before,... 42
- Peavler: Is Bronco Mendenhall the Steve... 42
- Red and Blue Recruits: Examining the... 34