Real Salt Lake general manager Garth Lagerwey confirmed the signing of midfielder/defender Robbie Russell Wednesday afternoon.
A Ghana-born U.S. citizen, Russell has spent the past seven years in Europe.
"He's exactly the type of player we want. He is (like) Nat Borchers. He is an American player that's had success over in Europe and become a better player," said Lagerwey.
RSL is hoping to have Russell in Salt Lake City by Thursday, making him eligible to play in next Monday's home league match against Toronto FC.
Russell, a Duke University graduate, was one of the secret trialists in Utah several weeks back and during his try-out he ran a faster 40-time than Robbie Findley.
The 29-year-old was originally drafted by the L.A. Galaxy in 2000, but opted to head overseas instead. He spent one season with Sogndal in Norway, followed by three additional seasons in Norway with Rosenborg.
The past two season he played for Viborg in the Danish Superliga.
Lagerwey said Russell can play any of seven positions, three in the midfield and all four on the backline.
RSL still has one roster spot remaining with Russell's signing."By adding Robbie in midfield and defense, we're pretty free to go after an attacking player at this point," said Lagerwey.
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 67
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 42
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14