Real Salt Lake general manager Garth Lagerwey confirmed the signing of midfielder/defender Robbie Russell Wednesday afternoon.
A Ghana-born U.S. citizen, Russell has spent the past seven years in Europe.
"He's exactly the type of player we want. He is (like) Nat Borchers. He is an American player that's had success over in Europe and become a better player," said Lagerwey.
RSL is hoping to have Russell in Salt Lake City by Thursday, making him eligible to play in next Monday's home league match against Toronto FC.
Russell, a Duke University graduate, was one of the secret trialists in Utah several weeks back and during his try-out he ran a faster 40-time than Robbie Findley.
The 29-year-old was originally drafted by the L.A. Galaxy in 2000, but opted to head overseas instead. He spent one season with Sogndal in Norway, followed by three additional seasons in Norway with Rosenborg.
The past two season he played for Viborg in the Danish Superliga.
Lagerwey said Russell can play any of seven positions, three in the midfield and all four on the backline.
RSL still has one roster spot remaining with Russell's signing."By adding Robbie in midfield and defense, we're pretty free to go after an attacking player at this point," said Lagerwey.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 89
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 38
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34