Real Salt Lake general manager Garth Lagerwey confirmed the signing of midfielder/defender Robbie Russell Wednesday afternoon.
A Ghana-born U.S. citizen, Russell has spent the past seven years in Europe.
"He's exactly the type of player we want. He is (like) Nat Borchers. He is an American player that's had success over in Europe and become a better player," said Lagerwey.
RSL is hoping to have Russell in Salt Lake City by Thursday, making him eligible to play in next Monday's home league match against Toronto FC.
Russell, a Duke University graduate, was one of the secret trialists in Utah several weeks back and during his try-out he ran a faster 40-time than Robbie Findley.
The 29-year-old was originally drafted by the L.A. Galaxy in 2000, but opted to head overseas instead. He spent one season with Sogndal in Norway, followed by three additional seasons in Norway with Rosenborg.
The past two season he played for Viborg in the Danish Superliga.
Lagerwey said Russell can play any of seven positions, three in the midfield and all four on the backline.
RSL still has one roster spot remaining with Russell's signing."By adding Robbie in midfield and defense, we're pretty free to go after an attacking player at this point," said Lagerwey.
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down Utah and...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty overturned,...
- Heisman Trophy tracker: Week 3, injuries...
- BYU's Hill has come a long way since loss at...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback...
- Week 2 NFL locals roundup: Players from Utah...
- Sports BLT video: Bronco Mendenhall provides...
- Pac-12 trips have made the Big House a... 108
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 70
- BYU moves up to No. 21 in AP poll, No.... 61
- Vai's View: BYU's greatest quarterback... 52
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Is BYU... 51
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 49
- BYU off to first 3-0 start in 6... 48
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 45