Laura Seitz, Deseret News
New football uniforms were rolled out Thursday by the University of Utah football team under a new five-year agreement with Under Armour, Inc., who will supply Utah's players, coaches and staff with its technologically advanced line of performance apparel, footwear and accessories.
Darrell Mack and Robert Johnson modeled the all-red and all-white uniforms. Mix and match combinations may also be worn at selected games.
"They're tighter and lighter," said Johnson, "so I can run faster."
Coach Kyle Whittingham explained that Under Armour "put a deal on the table that was very attractive," but he also added, "The players had the final say in the decision."
Slight changes in looks and material are part of the new package.
"It feels lighter," said Mack. "It's all good."
Aug. 3 is the first day of practice and Whittingham is looking forward to a healthy Brian Johnson at quarterback and a seasoned, experienced team returning.
"We have four or five returning offensive lineman," he said, and also noted that his only loss in the defensive secondary was Steve Tate.
With expectations high, Whittingham declined to prognosticate only saying, "We are concentrating on Michigan." (The Utes first opponent.)Johnson held back no such reservations. The junior quarterback from Los Angeles spoke freely. "Our goal is to go undefeated. We want to be in a Jan. 1 bowl game."
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at No. 3...
- 3A boys state tournament roundup: Pine View...
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Cougars take center stage...
- 5A boys state tournament roundup: Layton...
- 4A boys state tournament roundup: Bountiful...
- High school boys basketball: Kearns marches...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 92
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 63
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 50
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in... 24
- BYU looking forward to big showdown at... 24