Laura Seitz, Deseret News
New football uniforms were rolled out Thursday by the University of Utah football team under a new five-year agreement with Under Armour, Inc., who will supply Utah's players, coaches and staff with its technologically advanced line of performance apparel, footwear and accessories.
Darrell Mack and Robert Johnson modeled the all-red and all-white uniforms. Mix and match combinations may also be worn at selected games.
"They're tighter and lighter," said Johnson, "so I can run faster."
Coach Kyle Whittingham explained that Under Armour "put a deal on the table that was very attractive," but he also added, "The players had the final say in the decision."
Slight changes in looks and material are part of the new package.
"It feels lighter," said Mack. "It's all good."
Aug. 3 is the first day of practice and Whittingham is looking forward to a healthy Brian Johnson at quarterback and a seasoned, experienced team returning.
"We have four or five returning offensive lineman," he said, and also noted that his only loss in the defensive secondary was Steve Tate.
With expectations high, Whittingham declined to prognosticate only saying, "We are concentrating on Michigan." (The Utes first opponent.)Johnson held back no such reservations. The junior quarterback from Los Angeles spoke freely. "Our goal is to go undefeated. We want to be in a Jan. 1 bowl game."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 99
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34