Laura Seitz, Deseret News
New football uniforms were rolled out Thursday by the University of Utah football team under a new five-year agreement with Under Armour, Inc., who will supply Utah's players, coaches and staff with its technologically advanced line of performance apparel, footwear and accessories.
Darrell Mack and Robert Johnson modeled the all-red and all-white uniforms. Mix and match combinations may also be worn at selected games.
"They're tighter and lighter," said Johnson, "so I can run faster."
Coach Kyle Whittingham explained that Under Armour "put a deal on the table that was very attractive," but he also added, "The players had the final say in the decision."
Slight changes in looks and material are part of the new package.
"It feels lighter," said Mack. "It's all good."
Aug. 3 is the first day of practice and Whittingham is looking forward to a healthy Brian Johnson at quarterback and a seasoned, experienced team returning.
"We have four or five returning offensive lineman," he said, and also noted that his only loss in the defensive secondary was Steve Tate.
With expectations high, Whittingham declined to prognosticate only saying, "We are concentrating on Michigan." (The Utes first opponent.)Johnson held back no such reservations. The junior quarterback from Los Angeles spoke freely. "Our goal is to go undefeated. We want to be in a Jan. 1 bowl game."
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback Austin...
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up...
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby player...
- Syracuse sophomore Hunter Woodhall chases...
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes are...
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders weigh in...
- Business-like Real Salt Lake stops Kreis in...
- Utah Jazz: Ranking the best No. 12 picks in...
- Doug Robinson: BYU football may be... 125
- Links: BYU gets a new commitment; Utes... 42
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 35
- BYU basketball: NBA draft insiders... 31
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 27
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 21
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 14
- NBA draft: Jazz should still find a... 11