Laura Seitz, Deseret News
New football uniforms were rolled out Thursday by the University of Utah football team under a new five-year agreement with Under Armour, Inc., who will supply Utah's players, coaches and staff with its technologically advanced line of performance apparel, footwear and accessories.
Darrell Mack and Robert Johnson modeled the all-red and all-white uniforms. Mix and match combinations may also be worn at selected games.
"They're tighter and lighter," said Johnson, "so I can run faster."
Coach Kyle Whittingham explained that Under Armour "put a deal on the table that was very attractive," but he also added, "The players had the final say in the decision."
Slight changes in looks and material are part of the new package.
"It feels lighter," said Mack. "It's all good."
Aug. 3 is the first day of practice and Whittingham is looking forward to a healthy Brian Johnson at quarterback and a seasoned, experienced team returning.
"We have four or five returning offensive lineman," he said, and also noted that his only loss in the defensive secondary was Steve Tate.
With expectations high, Whittingham declined to prognosticate only saying, "We are concentrating on Michigan." (The Utes first opponent.)Johnson held back no such reservations. The junior quarterback from Los Angeles spoke freely. "Our goal is to go undefeated. We want to be in a Jan. 1 bowl game."
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- 'In Football We Trust' puts a religious twist...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 66
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 32
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 24
- Utes get it done at home again 21