You probably don't know the man, the late Douglas Coy Miles, but you likely know his famous designs of the CTR Ring, the Duty to God award, Relief Society pendant, all-church athletic trophies and Articles of Faith wall hangings commemorative fixtures in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Mr. Miles, 91, died July 4, 2008 of congestive heart failure.
He was the principal originator and supplier of the CTR ring, starting in 1970.
His other church service included serving an East Central States LDS mission, 1936-38; teaching seminary at Salt Lake's West High School in the 1940s and 1950s; and later as a guide on Temple Square for several decades.
He was born on Aug. 15, 1916 in Baker City, Ore., to Earl and Verdie Miles, third of four children. He attended Brigham Young University, where he was active in student affairs.
The day after Pearl Harbor he joined the U.S. Navy, and commanded a Martin PBM Mariner flying boat in the Pacific.
He married Blanche Bowen on Jan. 26, 1943, in Corpus Christie, Texas, a marriage later sealed in the Salt Lake Temple.
Mr. Miles earned a law degree from the Utah School of Law, and was an active member of the Utah bar throughout his life.
He was a very gifted salesman and established O.C. Tanner's first national sales force.
In 1955 he joined the L.G. Balfour Co. as national sales manager, and worked with Chevrolet and GM, creating original incentive programs.
A celebration of Coy's life will be held on Friday, July 11, 6-8 p.m., with a memorial service on Saturday. July 12, noon, both at Federal Heights Ward, 1300 Fairfax Road Salt Lake City. Friends may visit family one hour prior to the Saturday service.
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Elderly man hit, killed while changing tire
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Two fires were purposely set at U. fraternity...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 61
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 26
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 14