"After 10 days," he said, "the only thing we know for sure is that they all have their advantages and disadvantages."
John agreed that if anything, a gut-wrenching decision has become even tougher.
"Those three schools already had me sold, but they blew me away," he said of the camps. "If Ohio State does offer me, it's going to be an even harder decision."
Sitting down with storied coaches like Tressel and Carroll can be intimidating for a teenage boy.
John said he was nervous meeting with the head coaches after each of the three camps he attended but quickly got over that as he found all of them easy to talk to.
"Jim Tressel is one of the best head coaches I've ever met," said John Martinez. "He seems like a guy who hates to lose, and he has the will to win. He also takes good care of his guys. I heard him asking one of them about how he was doing in a class. I think I could take him for four years."
He said UCLA was "crazy. I thought it was really cool," he said. "At first it was weird to be that close to Hollywood, but the campus was great. I liked coach (Norm) Chow and coach Neuheisel a lot. They told me don't choose a school just because of football; choose a school because you want to be there. If you're just there for football, you're going to hate it. I liked that. Also, their weight training coach reminded me of (Cottonwood) coach Cecil (Thomas)."
It was Martinez's second time attending a USC camp, and he said he was even more impressed this time than he was last year.
"There is more energy and intensity about football," he said. "The coaches were always pumped up and ... the game (modified version of football) we played in the stadium was so intense it was like a real game. It was really cool and coach Carroll is great."
While Martinez has ruled out in-state possibilities, Su'a Filo's father says he has not."A lot of people think he's leaning toward out of state because he's gone to these camps, but that's not the case," said Efi Su'a-Filo of his oldest son. "He has tremendous respect for both coach (Bronco) Mendenhall and coach (Kyle) Whittingham, but he has to be able to compare everything, and we need the best information to do that."
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler Haws'...
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino leaves BYU...
- Hard work, dedication pay off for Utah's Karl...
- Stump the Smith: Can you answer the questions...
- LIVE TODAY: Deseret News live streaming...
- High school softball: Copper Hills earns a...
- ESPN trivia guru: University of Utah graduate...
- High school boys soccer: Lehi beats Bingham,...
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A state... 56
- Hard work, dedication pay off for... 37
- BYU basketball: Dave Rose hoping Tyler... 29
- Bodyguards allegedly beat up 2 fans who... 19
- Utah Jazz: No lottery luck, so Jazz... 19
- Utah State football: New coach Matt... 12
- BYU basketball: Agustin Ambrosino... 11
- BYU football: Fan-developed software... 8