CLEARFIELD When you think about how to make transportation better in Utah, construction on interstate highways is only part of the equation.
In Davis and Weber counties, commuters get to I-15 via 22 east-west roads where traffic is sometimes as dreadful in rush hour as it is on the freeway.
The Utah Department of Transportation is in the midst of a study to come up with a vision for transportation improvements between North Ogden and Farmington through 2040 and to create a five-year prioritized plan for construction projects.
And UDOT is looking for public comment.
So far, the vision states that Weber and Davis residents want to get to Salt Lake City and Ogden by car, train or bus with relative ease. They want to keep commerce localized but still want to maintain freeways.
UDOT has developed a map of proposed projects divided into three phases: 2008-13, 2014-23 and 2024-40.
The preferred plan, established by the study's steering committee, includes improvements or new construction on 15 roads, 11 in Davis and four in Weber, five interchanges and the establishment of a bus rapid transit route in Ogden in the first phase.
These are just recommendations and could eventually be ranked depending on funding and future needs.
Some of the projects in the first phase include the expansion northward of the Legacy Parkway, an extension of state Route 193 on 200 North in Clearfield, and widening of Riverdale Road, state Route 108 in northern Davis County, 200 North in Kaysville, 40th Street in Ogden and 700 South in Layton.
Today, an open house to get more public input will be held at Ogden's Union Station at 2501 Wall Ave.
By September, UDOT expects to make a presentation on east-west corridors to the Utah Legislature's Transportation Interim Committee.More information can be found at www.udot.utah.gov/daviswebereastwest.
If you go . . .
The Weber County open house for UDOT's east-west corridor study will be held today from 4:30 to 7 p.m. at Union Station, located at 2501 Wall Ave., in Ogden.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- Steven Powell will not be released from...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- LDS Church submits temporary Provo MTC plans...
- Psychologist calls doctor accused of killing...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 53
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 44
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers... 18
- LDS missionary 'stable' following... 17
- New law banning teen drivers from... 16