High school basketball: Pleasant Grove's Wilcox picks Washington over Utes
Pleasant Grove basketball star C.J. Wilcox made a verbal commitment to the University of Washington late Sunday night, opting to head out of state instead of accepting an offer from the University of Utah.
The 6-foot-5 Wilcox, who just completed his junior season at Pleasant Grove, averaged 23.7 points to lead the entire state of Utah last year.
"It's a really neat deal to have a kid go to a Division I school, it's exciting to be able to follow those kids for the next four years and see them excel at the next level," said Pleasant Grove coach Randy McAllister.
Wilcox's high school coach believes he's very deserving of the opportunity to play college basketball in the Pac-10.
"He's a great example of putting in the time. The kid has been coming down to the gym five days a week the last three years. He has earned the right shoot the ball and make the baskets he's made," said McAllister. "Skill wise, he's ready for that level."
Wilcox, the son of former BYU player Craig Wilcox, is regarded as one of the two best players in his graduating class along with Lone Peak's Tyler Haws.
As a sophomore in the 2006-2007 season Wilcox was one of the leading scorers in 5A with 15.3 ppg.
- Red and Blue Recruits: 'Sometimes when it...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- No. 18 BYU expecting 'difficult, volatile'...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest rivalry...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 295
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 83
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Peavler: Is Utah State BYU's biggest... 48
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 45
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39