High school basketball: Pleasant Grove's Wilcox picks Washington over Utes
Pleasant Grove basketball star C.J. Wilcox made a verbal commitment to the University of Washington late Sunday night, opting to head out of state instead of accepting an offer from the University of Utah.
The 6-foot-5 Wilcox, who just completed his junior season at Pleasant Grove, averaged 23.7 points to lead the entire state of Utah last year.
"It's a really neat deal to have a kid go to a Division I school, it's exciting to be able to follow those kids for the next four years and see them excel at the next level," said Pleasant Grove coach Randy McAllister.
Wilcox's high school coach believes he's very deserving of the opportunity to play college basketball in the Pac-10.
"He's a great example of putting in the time. The kid has been coming down to the gym five days a week the last three years. He has earned the right shoot the ball and make the baskets he's made," said McAllister. "Skill wise, he's ready for that level."
Wilcox, the son of former BYU player Craig Wilcox, is regarded as one of the two best players in his graduating class along with Lone Peak's Tyler Haws.
As a sophomore in the 2006-2007 season Wilcox was one of the leading scorers in 5A with 15.3 ppg.
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of NFL...
- Booker, other locals could get NFL draft...
- Niumatalolo and Navy make another trip to the...
- Decades later, Thurl Bailey and N.C. State...
- No home games for 7 weeks? RSL explains why a...
- BYU men's volleyball: Underwood and others...
- Morning links: Which local prospects could...
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for Utah
- Morning links: BYU's Eric Mika returns... 93
- BYU basketball: Cougars to play USC... 49
- BYU's Kaufusi an intriguing NFL... 26
- Having freshman QBs is a mixed bag for... 20
- Oakland Raiders owner says he will... 18
- Morning links: NFL Draft prospect news... 18
- 2016 NFL draft: Local players who might... 14
- BYU football announces full spring... 12