Texas Gov. Rick Perry is reviewing the court order.
"We are being briefed by DFPS, who is determining the next step," governor's spokeswoman Krista Piferrer said, making it clear the governor was not named in the legal action.
Thursday's ruling calls into question an agency's action that has already cost the state millions of dollars. Texas lawmakers met this week in a finance committee to hear the grim news about the fiscal impact of the raid that is now under a higher court's scrutiny and some public criticism.
"They didn't have enough evidence to remove the children," said attorney Gonzalo Rios. A criminal defense attorney for 16 years, Rios was approached by residents of the YFZ Ranch to represent some of the mothers. He said he didn't necessarily agree with the FLDS lifestyle, but got on board because of some of the constitutional issues that concerned him.
"Today it is this group. Tomorrow, it could be anybody. We're doing this to preserve our rights as an American people," he said.
James and Nancy Dockstader, who appeared in court for a hearing for five of their children, remained hopeful about the future.
"It's definitely moving in the right direction," he said."We are so grateful someone will actually listen to the facts and look at us as individual families," Nancy Dockstader added.
Contributing: Lisa Riley Roche, Nancy Perkins
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- About Utah: All the mac and cheese they can eat
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 21
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 11