May 11: FLDS spokesman Willie Jessop delivers a letter of appeal to President Bush, who is in Texas for daughter's wedding. As customary, the letter was to be screened through normal channels.
May 16: FLDS mother, 18, wins court "victory," is allowed to stay temporarily with her newborn and an older child.
May 17: Jeffs' attorneys asked that a grand jury indictment in Arizona cases be dismissed, citing flaws in the jury's processes and undue influence from the state of Arizona.
May 19: Custody hearings start for each affected family, expected to take three weeks. Utah Supreme Court docket shows Jeffs will appeal his Utah conviction.
May 20: Four more FLDS "disputed minors" are declared to be adults;
May 21: San Angelo officials inform the Texas Senate Finance Committee that the raid and its aftermath has cost more than $5.2 million, with $1.3 million accruing monthly to keep the children in custody. Status hearings in five San Angelo courtrooms cause confusion, bitterness, with little hard evidence of abuse. Texas officials return to the ranch on suspicion more children remain at the compound, are turned away for lack of a search warrant. FLDS fear another raid.
May 22: The 3rd Court of Appeals in Austin rules that Texas acted improperly in taking the children from the ranch. Judge Walther has 10 days to order return of children. CPS expected to appeal.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- Mia Love announces she's officially running...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- LDS missionary from Sweden suffers aneurysm,...
- Utah soldier presumed dead in Afghanistan
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 63
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 14
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 13