A former Utah State University quarterback was sentenced to prison Monday for aggravated assault and sexual battery involving a USU coed in 2006.
Jerod Dwayne Walker, 21, was sentenced to zero-to-five years in prison for third-degree felony aggravated assault and one year in jail for class A misdemeanor sexual battery. The sentences will run concurrently.
In Logan, 1st District Judge Clint Judkins also ordered that Walker pay for any additional counseling the victim might need.
The charges were part of a plea agreement that, among other things, dismissed a separate misdemeanor marijuana possession charge.
Walker originally had been charged with first-degree felony aggravated sexual assault regarding actions that occurred April 9, 2006, with a 20-year-old female university student who had accompanied Walker to his apartment.
The woman told her roommate early the next morning that she had been raped, and the police were notified soon after that.
"We proceeded very carefully on this because we knew there would be a lot of media attention because it's an athlete, but we also owed it to the victim to proceed as quickly as possible," USU Police Lt. Steve Milne told the Deseret News in 2006 after Walker turned himself in, was arrested and booked into the Cache County Jail.
Walker was immediately suspended from the team. While out on bail on the rape charge, Walker was arrested again, on charges of marijuana possession, and USU football coach Brent Guy dismissed him from the team.
During the lengthy court process, the judge at one point ordered Walker to undergo a 90-day evaluation at the Utah State Prison.
Walker was recruited by USU after showing considerable athletic skill as a record-setting high school player at Jersey Village High School in Houston.At USU, Walker led the team to a 24-21 win over New Mexico State in the 2005 season finale, and during that game, he completed 14 of 20 passes for 182 yards and two touchdowns while rushing for 102 yards.
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- 'People don't talk about it,' recovering...
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the world'...
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 51
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16