Pitchers put service first, find success in majors
\"I wasn't banging up my arm for two years,\" said the now
28-year-old right-hander who struck out 62 batters in 67 innings while
walking just 21 last year. \"I had time to rest.\"
Guthrie didn't exactly rest while at Stanford, where he set a
school record by throwing 157.2 innings as a junior. An all-American,
Guthrie was drafted in the third round by the Pirates in 2001, but he
elected to remain with the Cardinal for one more season. The following
year, he was a first-round draft pick by the Indians.
Guthrie's breakthrough didn't come until last season, when he was
waived by Cleveland and claimed by Baltimore. After cracking the major
league roster as a reliever, Guthrie eventually became a starter and
put together a stellar rookie season, throwing 175.1 innings with a
3.70 ERA and a strikeout rate of 6.31 per nine innings.
\"It was a blessing that I never would have expected,\" said the
now 29-year-old right-hander about last season. \"It went better than I
ever could have hoped for.\"
Like Lindstrom, Guthrie found that his mission experience served
to improve his baseball performance. It's all a matter of keeping his
life in the proper perspective.
\"It allows me to approach baseball in a way that is, for me, more
conducive to my success,\" he said. \"It keeps everything in focus, which
allows me to enjoy baseball.
\"The conviction that I have and my testimony is an anchor I will always have.\"
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- State bills to protect religious freedom...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Why I don’t call myself a ‘Mormon...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 149
- Why I don’t call myself a... 91
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A... 62
- What Mormons should know about NBC's... 51
- Kara Tippetts, Christian who blogged... 26
- Why Ted Cruz launched his presidential... 17
- Heaven can wait, Christian bookstore... 17
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 14