Pitchers put service first, find success in majors
\"I wasn't banging up my arm for two years,\" said the now
28-year-old right-hander who struck out 62 batters in 67 innings while
walking just 21 last year. \"I had time to rest.\"
Guthrie didn't exactly rest while at Stanford, where he set a
school record by throwing 157.2 innings as a junior. An all-American,
Guthrie was drafted in the third round by the Pirates in 2001, but he
elected to remain with the Cardinal for one more season. The following
year, he was a first-round draft pick by the Indians.
Guthrie's breakthrough didn't come until last season, when he was
waived by Cleveland and claimed by Baltimore. After cracking the major
league roster as a reliever, Guthrie eventually became a starter and
put together a stellar rookie season, throwing 175.1 innings with a
3.70 ERA and a strikeout rate of 6.31 per nine innings.
\"It was a blessing that I never would have expected,\" said the
now 29-year-old right-hander about last season. \"It went better than I
ever could have hoped for.\"
Like Lindstrom, Guthrie found that his mission experience served
to improve his baseball performance. It's all a matter of keeping his
life in the proper perspective.
\"It allows me to approach baseball in a way that is, for me, more
conducive to my success,\" he said. \"It keeps everything in focus, which
allows me to enjoy baseball.
\"The conviction that I have and my testimony is an anchor I will always have.\"
- Traditions old and new celebrated as Temple...
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving preparing...
- Elder Oaks gives special Thanksgiving...
- 'Turbulent and incredibly productive': New...
- A lesson a little girl learned while seeing...
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is special for...
- LDS Church to release 'A Savior Is Born'...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 96
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 25
- LDS World: How events in Paris are a... 10
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 10
- 4 effective ways to teach your kids... 4
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4
- Defending the Faith: Reasons for... 4
- New Harmony: A word for teens teetering... 3