Pitchers put service first, find success in majors
\"I wasn't banging up my arm for two years,\" said the now
28-year-old right-hander who struck out 62 batters in 67 innings while
walking just 21 last year. \"I had time to rest.\"
Guthrie didn't exactly rest while at Stanford, where he set a
school record by throwing 157.2 innings as a junior. An all-American,
Guthrie was drafted in the third round by the Pirates in 2001, but he
elected to remain with the Cardinal for one more season. The following
year, he was a first-round draft pick by the Indians.
Guthrie's breakthrough didn't come until last season, when he was
waived by Cleveland and claimed by Baltimore. After cracking the major
league roster as a reliever, Guthrie eventually became a starter and
put together a stellar rookie season, throwing 175.1 innings with a
3.70 ERA and a strikeout rate of 6.31 per nine innings.
\"It was a blessing that I never would have expected,\" said the
now 29-year-old right-hander about last season. \"It went better than I
ever could have hoped for.\"
Like Lindstrom, Guthrie found that his mission experience served
to improve his baseball performance. It's all a matter of keeping his
life in the proper perspective.
\"It allows me to approach baseball in a way that is, for me, more
conducive to my success,\" he said. \"It keeps everything in focus, which
allows me to enjoy baseball.
\"The conviction that I have and my testimony is an anchor I will always have.\"
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Seventh-day Adventist leader calls on family...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- 20 people confess their true feelings about...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire asks...
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch indexing...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 66
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 52
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 26
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 20
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- After government topples crosses in... 12
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 10