Pitchers put service first, find success in majors
LINDSTROM DESCRIBED HIS mission experience as \"irreplaceable.\" He
credits his service with helping him develop relationships and people
skills, and the fact that he was sent to the land of his ancestors was
\"That made it even more exciting to go over there and teach the people,\" he said. \"That's my heritage.\"
Guthrie said the work in Spain was difficult. He wasn't able to
teach as often as he would have liked, but the scarcity of listening
ears taught Guthrie humility and reliance upon gospel principles, which
in turn strengthened his own beliefs.
\"It made us realize that sometimes all you can do is pray and
have faith and work as hard as you can ... and hope for miracles,\" he
said. \"Obviously I grew in testimony and conviction of the gospel.\"
For Guthrie, his mission was an opportunity to take a two-year
hiatus from personal concerns. Being able to focus on others was a
\"That's something I don't think you can duplicate,\" he said. \"All
you're expected to do is go out and find people and teach them by the
Upon their returns to the United States, both men found the shift
from outward to inward focus to be one of the most difficult
\"Those two years, you're so unselfish,\" Lindstrom said.
But because Guthrie and Lindstrom both returned with promising
right arms intact, baseball was waiting for them, and it was time to
start focusing on the game they left behind.
The two men maintained similar perspectives on their future.
Guthrie returned 20 pounds lighter and with no expectations when
it came to his athletic career. But his ability quickly returned, which
he counts as a blessing. Guthrie resumed his career at Stanford
University in the fall of 2000, and the following year he married Jenny
Williams, whom he met at BYU and wrote to throughout his mission.
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high hopes...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- 'Fire is catching,' so catch up with Katniss
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 85
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 50
- Vatican brings faiths, including LDS,... 48
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34
- Former presidential candidate Mitt... 32
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 32
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 26