Pitchers put service first, find success in majors
from 1977-99. \"Most of the players who go knew they were going to serve
a mission before they enrolled in school.\"
But Guthrie, a pitcher who Pullins said was \"oozing\" with talent,
started having opinions, at times unsolicited, thrown at him some
advising him to consider baseball as his mission and some saying the
professional opportunity was too good to pass up. Guthrie held firm,
however, and said he received confirmation that a mission was the right
\"The goal was set prior to having to make the decision,\" Guthrie
said. \"I think what made it most difficult was a lot of feedback from
numerous people ... getting different opinions.
\"Ultimately, when I did make the decision ... I obviously felt very good about the decision and relieved.\"
Although Lindstrom wasn't drafted out of Madison High School in
Rexburg, Idaho, he did receive correspondence from major league clubs.
But like Guthrie, his resolve to serve had already been solidified, and
he informed those teams not to bother.
\"I told them, 'don't draft me because I'm not interested in playing until after my mission,\"' Lindstrom said.
Lindstrom did so knowing that the decision might adversely affect
his prospects in professional baseball. He was well aware of the fact
that the mission field was a long way from a major league career.
\"It didn't seem like it was going to happen because that route is odd and it doesn't happen very often,\" he said.
Lindstrom's conviction was the product of observance. When he was
12, his father began serving as a priest quorum adviser, and Lindstrom
watched those young men go on to serve missions and return as changed
\"That kind of inspired me,\" he said. \"I wanted to be like those guys.\"
Even after a promising freshman season at Ricks College, where
the small-town product was able to bask in a little attention,
Lindstrom left for Stockholm, Sweden, to serve a full-time mission.
\"I knew I wanted to do that,\" he said. \"I'm grateful that I chose to do that.\"
- President Packer was working on upcoming...
- 24 inspiring quotes from President Boyd K....
- BYU conference explores what's next for...
- Wright Words: What two lost college students...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,...
- 5 faith facts about Jim Webb: He’s mum...
- BYU conference explores what's next for... 77
- After Supreme Court marriage decision,... 54
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 41
- Ten Commandments decision prompts... 19
- Utah senators seeking support for... 17
- Not everyone has given up on God 11
- LDS missionaries in some countries no... 8
- Kate Kelly steps down from Ordain Women... 8