Robert F. Bukaty, Associated Press
PORTLAND, Maine — Mitt Romney eked out a narrow win in Maine's Republican caucuses, state party officials announced Saturday, providing his campaign a much-needed boost after three straight losses earlier this week. But the former Massachusetts governor's margin of victory over rival Ron Paul was so slim it all but guaranteed scrutiny of the party's decision not to count the results of caucuses scheduled later in February.
At a state party gathering in Portland, state Republican Chairman Charlie Webster announced Romney had won with 2,190 votes compared to 1,996 for Paul, the only other candidate to aggressively compete in the state. Rick Santorum received 989 votes and Newt Gingrich won 349, but neither actively campaigned there.
Webster said any caucus results that come in after Saturday wouldn't be counted no matter how close the vote turned out to be.
Maine's caucuses began February 4 and continued throughout the week. But the results announced Saturday accounted for just 83 percent of all precincts in the state. Several communities elected to hold their caucuses at a later date.
Caucuses in Washington County scheduled Saturday were postponed until February 18 because of a major snowstorm that blanketed the region. Earlier, the state party's Executive Director Michael Quatrano said county officials were told the results would not count toward the total.
Fouhy reported from Washington. Associated Press writer David Sharp contributed to this report.
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Why we don't need to worry that Utah cities...
- NFL says Husain Abdullah should not have been...
- Interracial marriages on the rise, but social...
- At least 31 believed dead at Japanese volcano...
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic State threat
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be stopped,...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 35
- Republicans rallying behind religious... 32
- Obama: US 'underestimated' Islamic... 23
- New mom Chelsea Clinton celebrates baby... 13
- Police: Fired worker beheaded Oklahoma... 12
- Tens of thousands of immigrant families... 11
- Marijuana could deliver more than $800... 9
- Parents of Michael Brown unmoved by... 7