Robert F. Bukaty, Associated Press
A profile of Maine, site of the Republican caucus on Feb. 11:
Median age: 42.7
Percentage of population 65 and over: 15.9 percent
RACE AND ETHNICITY
95.2 percent white, 1.3 percent Hispanic or Latino origin, 1.2 percent black, 1 percent Asian
Language other than English spoken at home: 7.1 percent
High school graduate or higher: 89.8 percent
Bachelor's degree or higher: 26.5 percent
Median household income: $46,933
People below poverty level: 12.6 percent
Home ownership rate: 73.1 percent
2008 PRESIDENTIAL RESULTS:
Barack Obama, 57.6 percent; John McCain, 40.4 percent; Ralph Nader, 1.4 percent.
REGISTERED VOTERS (as of 11/2/11):
Green Independent: 34,435.
MAINE QUICK FACTS:
— Maine is the nation's most heavily forested state.
— Maine has 3,500 miles of coastline and 6,000 lakes and ponds.
— Maine fishermen harvested more than 100 million pounds of lobster in 2011.
— Hannibal Hamlin of Paris, Maine, served as vice president under Abraham Lincoln.
— Writer Stephen King was raised in Maine and lives in Bangor.
— Maine is nearly as large as the other five New England states combined.
— Maine is home to Mount Katahdin, the northern end of the Appalachian Trail and the state's highest mountain at 5,268 feet
— Maine has the nation's oldest median age.
Sources: 2010 U.S. Census data; Maine Office of the Secretary of State; State of Maine website.
- Debate Takeaways: Rubio shaken, Trump not...
- Super Bowl throwback: 11 heart surgeries...
- Rescuers in Taiwan pull out survivors from...
- Christie, others hit final stretch in New...
- Charity parodies — videos tell another...
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl and sex...
- Survivors pulled out from building 2 days...
- 10 Things to Know for Today: New Hampshire,...
- US adds just 151k jobs in January; 4.9... 29
- Donald Trump calls for Iowa election... 14
- Once a bromance, now a brawl: Trump and... 11
- 5 things to know about the Super Bowl... 9
- Clinton seeks to cut into Sanders' New... 7
- Clinton's New Hampshire challenge:... 6
- US productivity fell at sharp 3 percent... 5
- Democratic race down to just two:... 5