Robert F. Bukaty, Associated Press
A profile of Maine, site of the Republican caucus on Feb. 11:
Median age: 42.7
Percentage of population 65 and over: 15.9 percent
RACE AND ETHNICITY
95.2 percent white, 1.3 percent Hispanic or Latino origin, 1.2 percent black, 1 percent Asian
Language other than English spoken at home: 7.1 percent
High school graduate or higher: 89.8 percent
Bachelor's degree or higher: 26.5 percent
Median household income: $46,933
People below poverty level: 12.6 percent
Home ownership rate: 73.1 percent
2008 PRESIDENTIAL RESULTS:
Barack Obama, 57.6 percent; John McCain, 40.4 percent; Ralph Nader, 1.4 percent.
REGISTERED VOTERS (as of 11/2/11):
Green Independent: 34,435.
MAINE QUICK FACTS:
— Maine is the nation's most heavily forested state.
— Maine has 3,500 miles of coastline and 6,000 lakes and ponds.
— Maine fishermen harvested more than 100 million pounds of lobster in 2011.
— Hannibal Hamlin of Paris, Maine, served as vice president under Abraham Lincoln.
— Writer Stephen King was raised in Maine and lives in Bangor.
— Maine is nearly as large as the other five New England states combined.
— Maine is home to Mount Katahdin, the northern end of the Appalachian Trail and the state's highest mountain at 5,268 feet
— Maine has the nation's oldest median age.
Sources: 2010 U.S. Census data; Maine Office of the Secretary of State; State of Maine website.
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's...
- Jet may have turned; suspicious passengers...
- FBI to investigate disappearance of a...
- Themes of faith, freedom echo at CPAC in...
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for school to...
- Terrorist attack? Mechanical failure? Reasons...
- 2 on missing Malaysia jet used stolen EU...
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 22
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 19
- Early auditions for 2016 Republican... 16
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for... 12
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- New Ukraine prime minister: Crimea will... 9