ONTARIO, Calif. — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Ontario Reign 2-1 Friday night in California.
Utah goaltender Jimmy Spratt stopped 19 of the 20 shots that he faced in the third period and 34 of 35 in the game for his first win with the Grizzlies. Ontario's lone goal tonight was scored on a five-on-three power-play 9:52 into the third period.
The Grizzlies took a 1-0 lead 8 minutes into the second period as Logan MacMillan crashed the net for his sixth goal of the year. Ryan Turek and Nick Tuzzolino picked up assists as they worked the play up ice off of a face-off win in the Utah end.
Utah made it 2-0 with 2:21 left in the second period off of another face-off win in the Ontario end as Justin Dowling dropped a pass to Ryan Turek in the slot in transition.
The Grizzlies and Ontario complete their series Saturday at 7 p.m. from California.
Utah returns home to host Las Vegas Wednesday at 7 p.m. for a Wild $2 Wednesday with $2 Hot Dogs, Fries, Soft Drinks and Draft Beers. In addition, students who present ID, will receive $5 lower bowl tickets at the arena box office.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 82
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 24