LOGAN — In a rivalry like the one between Utah State and New Mexico State it does not take a lot to find motivation, but if Utah State was lacking any they need to look no further than the last time these two teams met. The all-Aggie battle in Las Cruces was just a four point game with 10 minutes left that turned into a 20-point laugher for New Mexico State. The poor finish combined with the antics of the crimson-Aggies a bad taste in the mouth of Kyisean Reed and the rest of the Utah State team.
"The showboating and all of that," Reed said on what he remembered from the previous matchup. "They have to come here now. I'm ready for that."
"They are coming into the Spectrum on Saturday," guard Preston Medlin added. "We are excited for that game. We are going to prepare like we would for any other game and come out with fire on Saturday afternoon."
Reed and Medlin will be the key for the blue Aggies if they want to salvage a split of the season series. Medlin was held to just nine points in the first meeting, his only single-digit scoring output in WAC play. Reed had an excellent performance on Thursday night against Louisiana Tech, but needs to keep up the intensity against the physical front of New Mexico State.
"We love it when (Reed)'s able to get a couple lobs and get loose on the break, those are fun plays for the crowd and gives the team some good energy," said head coach Stew Morrill. "The key for Kyisean is the physical part of the game. We really need him to stick his nose in against the physical play of New Mexico State and not be taken out by their size and physicality. That's what he's continuing to work on."
Tip-off is at 1 P.M. Saturday to accommodate for ESPN2, which will be showing the game as part of their rivalry week programming. Utah State super-fan Wild Bill has also promised to come out of retirement for the day with his "best costume yet" to show off for the national TV audience and distract opposing free-throw shooters.
AGGIES ON THE AIR
Utah State (13-12, 5-5)
vs. New Mexico St. (17-8, 6-3)
today, 1 PM (MT)
Dee Glen Smith Spectrum
TV: ESPN2 Radio: 1280 AM
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37