Why is Davis County government planning on using $4.1 million in federal disaster aid relief in response to December's windstorm? It's no secret that the federal government is broke and every extra dollar spent is being borrowed and must be repaid by future generations with interest.
Why not ask the 300,000 residents of Davis County to pay for this? It would cost $13 each. Is it because it is easier to spend other people's money?
My guess is if local government had to spend local tax dollars, they would be far more responsible in how they spend the money. We could get things fixed for less. Instead we'll spend more and pass the bill to others.
Another sad example of government following the mantra, "Don't tax you. Don't tax me. Tax that baby on your knee."
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration...
- Letter: Acting on immigration
- How America feels about Mitt Romney right now
- My view: Remembering JFK 51 years later
- In our opinion: Thankfully speaking —...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Hospitality...
- Greg Bell: It's time to raise the gas tax
- In our opinion: 70 mph — driving at the...
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration... 65
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 61
- Letter: Growing party divide 53
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive... 44
- How America feels about Mitt Romney... 40
- In our opinion: When it comes to... 40
- Letter: Acting on immigration 39
- My view: Global warming needs free market 26