Why is Davis County government planning on using $4.1 million in federal disaster aid relief in response to December's windstorm? It's no secret that the federal government is broke and every extra dollar spent is being borrowed and must be repaid by future generations with interest.
Why not ask the 300,000 residents of Davis County to pay for this? It would cost $13 each. Is it because it is easier to spend other people's money?
My guess is if local government had to spend local tax dollars, they would be far more responsible in how they spend the money. We could get things fixed for less. Instead we'll spend more and pass the bill to others.
Another sad example of government following the mantra, "Don't tax you. Don't tax me. Tax that baby on your knee."
- John Hoffmire: Unknowingly raising another...
- Letter: Moral decline
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage, Utah...
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move forward...
- In our opinion: Revisiting racial imbalance...
- About Utah: High time for a peaceful revival
- In our opinion: Some universities targeting...
- On Second Thought
- In our opinion: Utah should change law... 80
- Letter: Moral decline 72
- Letter: Climate denial 62
- In our opinion: Some universities... 45
- Politico Magazine: If Mitt Romney runs... 44
- Brian S. Brown: In defending marriage,... 43
- Robert Bennett: Obama should not move... 39
- My view: Government broadband spells... 28