Why is Davis County government planning on using $4.1 million in federal disaster aid relief in response to December's windstorm? It's no secret that the federal government is broke and every extra dollar spent is being borrowed and must be repaid by future generations with interest.
Why not ask the 300,000 residents of Davis County to pay for this? It would cost $13 each. Is it because it is easier to spend other people's money?
My guess is if local government had to spend local tax dollars, they would be far more responsible in how they spend the money. We could get things fixed for less. Instead we'll spend more and pass the bill to others.
Another sad example of government following the mantra, "Don't tax you. Don't tax me. Tax that baby on your knee."
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Charles Krauthammer: Notes from Cleveland:...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 38
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 30
- Letter: Acting presidential 26
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22
- My view: Drafting women a threat to... 17