"It just seems like he wants to open the doors and let everyone out," said Harriet Salarno, founder and chairwoman of Auburn-based Crime Victims United of California.
"The magnitude of the crime should be considered," said Salarno. "Just because they're in prison and behave doesn't mean they can conform to the outside world."
Schwarzenegger received 1,909 recommendations for parole during his seven years in office. He reversed 1,163, modified nine, affirmed four, allowed 496 to proceed without a review, and sent 237 back for the full board to consider.
Davis received 374 parole recommendations, reversed 275, affirmed six, modified three, and sent 90 back to the full board during his nearly five years as governor.
Ward said the governor's office has declined to release files on the 331 killers whose parole was permitted by Brown, and Westrup said there is no list of those freed during Brown's tenure. A spokesman for the parole board also could not provide a list.
In a separate report to the Legislature, Brown said he issued 21 pardons last year to ex-convicts who have committed no new crimes since they were released from prison after serving their full sentences years ago. All were convicted of drug or property crimes.
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Challenge to Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's birth...
- Unions and tea party activists? Common Core...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Obama's Kenyan-born uncle allowed to remain...
- Challenge to Utah's same-sex marriage ban 55
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 40
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 39
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 17
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 14
- White House: On track for health care... 13