Utah's Arnie Ferrin to be inducted into Pac-12 Basketball Hall of Honor
Tom Smart, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Arnie Ferrin is making history once again. The four-time All-American, who led Utah to the 1944 NCAA championship and 1947 NIT title, will be the program's first player inducted into the Pac-12 Basketball Hall of Honor.
Ferrin, along with inductees from each of the conference's other 11 schools, will be honored at next month's Pac-12 basketball tournament in Los Angeles. The others include Richard Jefferson (Arizona), Kurt Nimphius (Arizona State), Lamond Murray (California), Burdette Haldorson (Colorado), Jim Barnett (Oregon), A.C. Green (Oregon State), George Selleck (Stanford), Ed O'Bannon (UCLA), Sam Barry (USC), George Irvine (Washington) and Steve Puidokas (Washington State).
Ferrin, an Ogden High graduate, became the first freshman ever to be named MVP of the Final Four. He scored 22 points in Utah's championship game victory over Dartmouth in 1944. After capping his Utah career with the NIT crown in 1947, Ferrin went on to become the MVP of the national East-West All-Star Game. He was drafted by the Minneapolis Lakers and helped the franchise win titles in the BAA (1949) and NBA (1950).
Ferrin's jersey No. 22 is one of seven retired by the University of Utah. He was inducted into the National College Basketball Hall of Fame in 2009.
In addition to his success as a player, Ferrin also served stints as general manager of the ABA's Utah Stars and as Utah's athletics director.
The 86-year-old currently resides in Salt Lake City and Palm Spring, Calif.
- BYU football: Cougars face even more...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Dick Harmon: Lone Peak's Quincy Lewis among...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll return...
- Nothing to frown about: 3 baby arrivals in 3...
- Yeomans: What does it mean for Jimmer...
- Bartley, Neilson leaving BYU's basketball team
- Soccer: Taylor Booth is a 13-year-old phenom...
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 56
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 35
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches 28
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 21
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- 3 Utes, 1 Aggie and 1 Cougar selected... 16
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a... 16
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe... 11