Among survey respondents who expressed a Christian religious preference, there was a significant division of opinion, with Protestants generally opposed to gay marriage (58 percent, including 74 percent opposition among white evangelical Christians and 62 percent among black Protestants) and Catholics generally in favor of allowing it (52 percent).
Those who declared themselves as religiously unaffiliated were overwhelmingly (72 percent) in favor of allowing gay marriage.
As far as Latter-day Saints are concerned, there are no survey numbers available specifically on the subject of gay marriage. But in a recent Pew Research Center survey of www.pewforum.org/mormons-in-america/ Mormons in America, self-identified Latter-day Saints were asked if homosexuality should be accepted or discouraged by society. Sixty-five percent of survey respondents said homosexuality should be discouraged by society, with 26 percent saying that it should be accepted.
If such numbers make anything clear, it is that there are strong feelings on both sides of this controversial issue.
"We recognize that (today's) decision represents a continuation of what has been a vigorous public debate over the rights of the people to define and protect the fundamental institution of marriage," the LDS Church's official statement concluded. "There is no doubt that today's ruling will intensify the debate in this country. We urge people on all sides of this issue to act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility toward those with a different opinion."
- 50 things you might not know about 15 of your...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Former South African President Nelson Mandela...
- Obama administration will allow green energy...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 105
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 34
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for... 29
- Colorado court hears discrimination... 28
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Research: Native American genes have... 23
- Obama declares health care law is... 21