The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has issued the following statement regarding todays court ruling.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints regrets todays decision. California voters have twice determined in a general election that marriage should be recognized as only between a man and a woman. We have always had that view. Courts should not alter that definition, especially when the people of California have spoken so clearly on the subject.
Millions of voters in California sent a message that traditional marriage is crucial to society. They expressed their desire, through the democratic process, to keep traditional marriage as the bedrock of society, as it has been for generations.
We recognize that this decision represents a continuation of what has been a vigorous public debate over the rights of the people to define and protect the fundamental institution of marriage. There is no doubt that todays ruling will intensify the debate in this country. We urge people on all sides of this issue to act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility toward those with a different opinion.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White House...
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- Apple sells more than 10 million iPhones in...
- Where do we draw the line on spanking?
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 12
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 10
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land... 10
- How much America wants to be taxed 10
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 9
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- It's not just young people —... 7
- Prosecutor: 800 rounds found in White... 5