Volunteer gives back by encouraging youths to prepare for college
"He's up here so much, it's almost like he's on staff," said principal Aaron Williams. "He mentors our young people, helps them with college applications. He has even attended our parent-teacher conferences. He has a tremendous heart for young people. He and I share the same passion for helping young men, in particular. We know that keeping them on track in terms of getting an education can take them away from a life of crime. There's an unspoken culture that says all we do is rob, steal and kill. We know that's not true."
The youngsters he works with expressed appreciation during a meeting at which he measured them for dress shirts and gave away coats and ties donated by members of his fraternity.
Aaaqi Peterson, 18, a senior, plans to go to North Carolina Central, just as Lewis did.
"His whole speech moves me to try harder and go farther," said Peterson, who wants to study business and music.
Emmanuel Whitley, 16, a junior, said Lewis built up his self-confidence.
"I didn't believe in myself," Whitley said. "Now I work harder in school, and I want to be a computer engineer."
Khari Greene, 17, also a senior, said the men can relate to Lewis because his background is similar to theirs. "It's just good for a man who doesn't even know us to start talking to us and saying he'll help us get to where we want to be."
- Bubba Watson, two-time Masters Golf...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir to carry on tradition...
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- Theater preview: Pioneer Theatre raises...
- John Lennon audio interviews surface on 'I'm...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Tipping points:... 36
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 25
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Elizabeth Smart talks forgiveness and... 24
- Wright Words: Despite horrific fire,... 12
- Judge set to issue key Ohio gay... 11
- Get married, stay married? No fault... 10
- 'Heaven is for Real' delivers a... 9