Utah Jazz: Greg Miller wonders how relationship turned 'sour,' wants to mend fences with Karl Malone
"The only thing I can tell you is that's great. But there's nothing that can be said or done to hurt my relationship with Jerry Sloan," Malone said. "That's just the way it is. That's awesome. But when I feel a certain way about a friend, Jerry and Karl is a friendship to the end, not just lip service."
Continued Malone: "When I'm a friend, and there aren't many of them, I make a commitment to be a friend to the end of time. There's nothing you can do or say to keep it from going there. You don't need to fix nothing."
Current Jazz members wanted to distance themselves from the controversy.
"It has nothing to do with us," Jazz forward Paul Millsap said, adding that he never talks to his fellow Louisiana Tech product.
"You've got to talk to them about that. I have no comment," Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin said. "That's Greg and Karl."
Corbin said he hoped his players wouldn't let the well-publicized dispute bother them.
"It's a part of our family. It's a part of who we are. You just deal with it and move forward," Corbin said. "Hopefully, they get past it as soon as they can so we can go back and play ball. … It could be a distraction. Hopefully, we won't let it be."
Corbin said Miller didn't pressure or advise him to avoid hiring Malone as an assistant coach — something the Mailman has said he'd consider.
"It had nothing to do with it," said Corbin, who added Sidney Lowe (assistant) and Michael Sanders (player development) to his staff in the offseason.
Contributing: Brad Rock
Twitter: DJJazzyJody Blog: jazzland.blogs.deseretnews.com
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- North Carolina AD: School will respond to...
- Championship ring: President calls Cavs coach...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- World doping watchdog shuts down Rio Olympic...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 71
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 41
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 34
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 22
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19