Jerry Sloan releases statement about his retirement last year
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Jerry Sloan's retirement last year was not rooted in a lack of support from team management, he said in a written statement released Saturday.
Sloan's remarks were in response to comments Karl Malone made on 1280 The Zone on January 27, in which he accused general manager Kevin O'Connor and CEO Greg Miller of not backing Sloan up during a locker room dispute with Deron Williams in 2011.
Malone said, That defining moment when (management) should have stood up for Jerry Sloan, they chose Deron Williams, Malone said. And Coach Sloan, being the coach I know and love, said, 'You know what? We should part ways.'
But in the statement, Sloan said that was not how it occurred.
I would like to set the record straight regarding my retirement from the Utah Jazz, he said. I had the unwavering support of the Miller family during my 23 seasons as head coach with the franchise and I left on my own volition. It is not true that the Millers undermined my authority as head coach. I had their complete backing to run the team as I wished and was assured that no player could ever overrule my decisions.
The Millers encouraged me to stay with the team and gave me multiple opportunities to do so. They felt strongly that I should wait at least until the end of the season to resign and did everything they could to keep me coaching.
I do not wish to make any further statements regarding this issue. It is time for me and my family to move on and I ask that the media respect my wishes and respect the integrity of the Miller family and all that they have done for the Utah Jazz and this community.
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- Honoring a legend: BYU star quarterback Jim...
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- Some surprises, lots of defense, on first day...
- BYU Cougars video: Jeff Call tells us what to...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 292
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 60
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31