WEST VALLEY CITY —The Ontario Reign (25-14-2-2) defeated the Utah Grizzlies (19-20-0-5) 3-2 in a shootout Friday night at Maverik Center as Utah stretched their unbeaten streak to three-straight games at 2-0-0-1.
"I thought both teams came out and competed, there was no feeling out period, both teams played hockey and played hard," said Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley.
After getting eight shots in the first three minutes, Utah outshot Ontario 14-8 in a scoreless first period.
The Reign scored two goals in the first half of the second period to take a 2-0 lead. Grizzlies Head Coach Kevin Colley immediately called a timeout and the Grizzlies got the ship righted 61 seconds later with a Logan MacMillan (5) power-play goal assisted by Ryan Turek and Jeff LoVecchio as the Grizzlies held the puck in for the first 36 seconds of a power-play.
Utah tied the game 3:29 into the third period as Colin Vock fed Mitch Wahl (10) cross-ice for a goal in transition into an open net. Turek picked up his second assist of the night on the play. Ontario won the shootout 2-1, scoring two-straight after Mitch Wahl gave Utah a 1-0 lead.
- Copper Hills lives up to expectations with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- For Star Lotulelei, Super Bowl loss leaves...
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to Pacific,...
- Hood, Hayward help Jazz eclipse Suns for...
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the road...
- Rudy Gobert made Suns pay for fouling strategy
- Oregon overpowers Utes for 76-66 victory
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 100
- Morning links: Grading the BYU, Utah... 83
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 61
- 5-star LDS linebacker prospect Mique... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Brad Rock: Recruiting day puts Utes in... 29
- Defense, rebounding, big second half... 22
- Brad Rock: No BYU, but no regrets for... 22