HOUSTON — After notching its seventh straight victory on Thursday night, the Utah Valley University basketball team will finish up the first half of Great West Conference play Saturday night at Houston Baptist.
Both teams used late runs to pick up conference wins on Thursday night; the Wolverines (14-10, 4-0) defeated Texas-Pan American in Edinburg, Texas, while the Huskies (7-14, 1-3) topped North Dakota in Houston.
"We know that, coming off of their first conference win, HBU will have renewed confidence," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "Coach (Ron) Cottrell's teams always play with great tenacity, really work hard defensively and provide a lot of difficult matchups for us."
The Wolverines remained unbeaten in league play thanks in large part to a late 14-0 run that turned a five-point deficit into a nine-point lead.
In HBU's win on Thursday night, Art Bernardi scored 19 points and Terry Bembry added 17 in a 69-62 win over North Dakota. Marcus Davis leads the Huskies with averages of 12.9 points and 5.8 rebounds.
Today's game marks the second of four straight GWC road games for Utah Valley. Next week the Wolverines make their East Coast swing at NJIT (Feb. 9) and at Chicago State (Feb. 11).
Wolverines on the air
Utah Valley (14-10, 4-0) at Houston Baptist (7-14, 1-3)
Today, 6 p.m. MT
Sharp Gymnasium, Houston
Radio: 960 AM
T-Birds on the air
Southern Utah (12-11, 7-6) at S. Dakota St. (18-6, 10-2)
Today, 6:30 p.m. MT
Frost Arena, Brookings, S.D.
Radio: 91.1 FM
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 53
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 45
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35