HOUSTON — After notching its seventh straight victory on Thursday night, the Utah Valley University basketball team will finish up the first half of Great West Conference play Saturday night at Houston Baptist.
Both teams used late runs to pick up conference wins on Thursday night; the Wolverines (14-10, 4-0) defeated Texas-Pan American in Edinburg, Texas, while the Huskies (7-14, 1-3) topped North Dakota in Houston.
"We know that, coming off of their first conference win, HBU will have renewed confidence," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "Coach (Ron) Cottrell's teams always play with great tenacity, really work hard defensively and provide a lot of difficult matchups for us."
The Wolverines remained unbeaten in league play thanks in large part to a late 14-0 run that turned a five-point deficit into a nine-point lead.
In HBU's win on Thursday night, Art Bernardi scored 19 points and Terry Bembry added 17 in a 69-62 win over North Dakota. Marcus Davis leads the Huskies with averages of 12.9 points and 5.8 rebounds.
Today's game marks the second of four straight GWC road games for Utah Valley. Next week the Wolverines make their East Coast swing at NJIT (Feb. 9) and at Chicago State (Feb. 11).
Wolverines on the air
Utah Valley (14-10, 4-0) at Houston Baptist (7-14, 1-3)
Today, 6 p.m. MT
Sharp Gymnasium, Houston
Radio: 960 AM
T-Birds on the air
Southern Utah (12-11, 7-6) at S. Dakota St. (18-6, 10-2)
Today, 6:30 p.m. MT
Frost Arena, Brookings, S.D.
Radio: 91.1 FM
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA...
- BYU star Tyler Haws' whirlwind workout tour...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to...
- Several early season game times set for Utah,...
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to make...
- Ranking the best shooting guards in the NBA...
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets new...
- Former BYU guard Tyler Haws to work out for...
- Morning links: Sports figures react to... 80
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 70
- Utah football: QB Wilson determined to... 36
- Brad Rock: Tackle football for girls... 25
- Morning links: Haws, Wright workout for... 21
- Dick Harmon: As Marriott Center gets... 16
- Several early season game times set for... 14
- His legacy at BYU secure, Tyler Haws... 13