HOUSTON — After notching its seventh straight victory on Thursday night, the Utah Valley University basketball team will finish up the first half of Great West Conference play Saturday night at Houston Baptist.
Both teams used late runs to pick up conference wins on Thursday night; the Wolverines (14-10, 4-0) defeated Texas-Pan American in Edinburg, Texas, while the Huskies (7-14, 1-3) topped North Dakota in Houston.
"We know that, coming off of their first conference win, HBU will have renewed confidence," said UVU coach Dick Hunsaker. "Coach (Ron) Cottrell's teams always play with great tenacity, really work hard defensively and provide a lot of difficult matchups for us."
The Wolverines remained unbeaten in league play thanks in large part to a late 14-0 run that turned a five-point deficit into a nine-point lead.
In HBU's win on Thursday night, Art Bernardi scored 19 points and Terry Bembry added 17 in a 69-62 win over North Dakota. Marcus Davis leads the Huskies with averages of 12.9 points and 5.8 rebounds.
Today's game marks the second of four straight GWC road games for Utah Valley. Next week the Wolverines make their East Coast swing at NJIT (Feb. 9) and at Chicago State (Feb. 11).
Wolverines on the air
Utah Valley (14-10, 4-0) at Houston Baptist (7-14, 1-3)
Today, 6 p.m. MT
Sharp Gymnasium, Houston
Radio: 960 AM
T-Birds on the air
Southern Utah (12-11, 7-6) at S. Dakota St. (18-6, 10-2)
Today, 6:30 p.m. MT
Frost Arena, Brookings, S.D.
Radio: 91.1 FM
- ACC media days has some interesting tidbits...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to expand,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is an...
- Some fringe Jazz players opened eyes in Vegas
- Off on the right foot: BYU Cougars looking...
- High school football: Top 25 preseason rankings
- Former BYU defensive lineman Eathyn...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 182
- Report: Former BYU guard Jimmer... 73
- BYU freshman linebacker reportedly... 72
- BYU's Jamaal Williams, Utah State's Joe... 58
- Peavler: Arizona vice president of... 52
- ACC media days has some interesting... 38
- Brad Rock: Decades later, equality... 33
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 30